lab start dates−Spring 2019
Check when your lab dates begin. Labs do not always begin the first week of the semester.
- BIOS 1100: Biological Sciences Laboratory—Jan. 15
- BIOS 1610: Molecular and Cellular Biology—Jan. 14
- BIOS 1620: Ecology and Evolution—Jan. 14
- BIOS 1910: Introduction to Human Biology and Anatomy—Jan. 17
- BIOS 2110: Human Anatomy—Jan. 14
- BIOS 2320: Microbiology and Infectious Diseases—Jan. 14
- BIOS 2400: Human Physiology—Jan. 21
- BIOS 2500: General Genetics—TBA
- BIOS 3120: Microbiology— Jan. 10
- BIOS 3190: Plant Physiology—Jan. 8
- BIOS 3500: Human Physiology Major—Jan. 14
Western Michigan University embraces collaboration and leverages resources to offer academic programs that are responsive to the needs of all students and society. In the Department of Biological Sciences undergraduates, graduate students and faculty collaborate on real-world applications through laboratory research, publications and fieldwork.
Explore the world of biology through our seminar series each semester. The seminars are presentations of current biological research by current WMU faculty or faculty from other universities.
- NSF awards Dr. Erika Calvo-Ochoa grant to study brain injury and regeneration
Congratulations to our students for a great turnout at the Michigan Branch American Society for Microbiology spring meeting. Awards received:
- Best oral presentation award: Tetiana Petrachkova
View the latest Department of Biological Sciences newsletter.
Undergraduate research opportunities
Set on 661 acres in Southwest Michigan, Pierce Cedar Creek Institute provides visitors with an exposure to a blend of diverse habitats including wetlands, forests, marshes, streams, lakes and prairies, and more than seven miles of nature trails. The institute is open to the public year-round, free of charge.
Get a glimpse of the biological sciences program
Nicole Carpp talks about life in the biological sciences program. View this two-minute video to get a glimpse of this program.
Student Success Services in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University provides academic support programs and connects you to resources you may need to achieve your academic and personal goals.