The Department of Biological Sciences at Western Michigan University advisors work to support and enrich your academic experience by helping with curricular decisions and providing information and guidance on extracurricular options, career paths and post-graduate plans.

Undergraduate advising

If you declared biological sciences as your major you should see the departmental advisor before registering for your first semester. Your advisor will:

  • Make sure that you take your courses in the proper sequence so as not to delay graduation.
  • Recommend the electives most suited for the career that you are pursuing. Courses taken without the approval of the advisor, especially at other colleges, may not be acceptable for credit toward a major or minor.
  • Refer you to academic services to help you be successful by achieving a grade of C or better in your departmental courses so they will be counted toward a biological sciences major or minor.

  • Meet with you to ensure you have met all graduation requirements.

See the advisor as soon as you decide to select a minor in the department.

Schedule an appointment

Secondary education majors

Meet with a biology advisor for major or minor requirements for your secondary education major.

Registration problems

If you are trying to get into a closed class or are having trouble registering for a class, email your Western Identification Number, the Course Reference Number for the courses you are trying to register for and the error message, if applicable, to the undergraduate advisor.

Transfer students

Specific program and general education transfer guides are available for students transferring from a Michigan community college.


Contact the undergraduate advisor of biological sciences, or call College of Arts and Sciences Advising at 269-387-4366.

Graduate Advising

Current graduate students at WMU who have questions should contact Dr. Silvia Rossbach, graduate advisor of biological sciences.