Service Continuity Update (3/25/2020)
By now, you have received multiple communications from President Montgomery and our Provost, Dr. Jennifer Bott, regarding the university’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak. WMU remains open and the Peer Academic Success Coaching is here to support your success coaching needs. The Student Success Services office is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In alignment with courses being offered through distance education for the remainder of the semester, peer coaching services will be offered from a distance as our staff works remotely during this time. You will be able to receive success coaching, including twice weekly sessions, assistance with goal planning, and academic support with specific courses.
Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience and be well!
Peer Academic Success Coaching
A new Microsoft Teams channel has been created for you to connect with your coach. The name of the channel is Peer Academic Success Coaching. Follow the steps below to log in and find the WMU Academic Support Hub in Teams.
- Log in to Microsoft Teams
- In your web browser (Google Chrome recommended), go to https://wexchange.wmich.edu and log in - use YourBroncoNetID@wmich.edu and password. (It's important to include "@wmich.edu" after your Bronco NetID at this login.)
- Click on Teams app logo (it's blue-ish-purple) and Teams will open in a new browser tab.
- Click the gold button below to go to the is Peer Academic Success Coaching team. When you see the "Stay better connected..." message in your browser, click Use the web app instead. Click Join Now.
Peer Academic Success Coaching
- You will automatically be in the "General" channel. In the left-side menu,
- Coaches will be monitoring this section and will respond to each student. Look for your coach to post a message stating they are ready to start your session. When you reply indicating you are ready the coach will start a video chat.
- Coaches will open a video chat with the student. When you receive the video chat notification, click Join Chat.
- During the video chat, you can hover over the icons in the middle of the page to unmute your microphone and turn on your camera. There are three dots where you can change your settings if you have problems hearing or issues with your camera.
About the program
The peer academic success coaching program at Western Michigan University helps students perform to the best of their abilities. The goal is to help you attain the highest standards of academic excellence. Through the coaching process, you will work collaboratively with your coach to develop a plan of action to optimize academic performance and achieve your goals. You will learn strategies and techniques and receive support to take the steps necessary to enhance your learning experience at WMU.
Research shows that the most successful students use personal support services such as coaching. The most successful students realize early that asking for and taking advantage of help is a mark of intelligence and not an indicator of weakness.
You will receive:
- Two hours each week of one-on-one sessions with your coach to build study habits and receive individualized content tutoring.
- Assistance in developing short-term, mid-range and long-term goals.
- Help to remain accountable for progress toward the achievement of those goals.
- Assistance with specific academic issues.
- Assistance with connections to additional University and departmental resources.
Who should apply?
Coaching is available to any undergraduate student interested in:
- Enhancing their academic skills.
- Making the most of their learning opportunities.
- Receiving one-on-one help with your courses twice a week.