The Supplemental Instruction program is here to provide support and assistance to students within selected courses. Supplemental Instructors are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and skillful peer educators who provide direct educational support to students. Because Supplemental Instructors have taken the courses for which they are providing services, they not only have a first-hand account of challenges within difficult course content areas but also helpful tips and strategies to overcome these barriers to success.
In an in-person or synchronous online course, the Supplemental Instructor (SI) will be present in the classroom to help address any student questions and concerns. In an asynchronous course, the Supplemental Instructors will be active within the Elearning platform to support students within their coursework.
Below overviews the direct support offered to students through the Supplemental Instruction program:
- SIs facilitate 3 weekly one-hour review sessions throughout the duration of the course.
- SIs help students gain deeper insights into course material.
- Review sessions allow students to engage in course material through varying interactive activities and modes of learning.
- SIs aim to address student questions and/or concerns about course materials in and outside of the classroom.
- SIs provide study tips and strategies to help students thrive in their academic pursuits.
Point of Contact
Supplemental Instruction Program Manager
Western Michigan University is committed to supporting you in achieving your academic and personal goals. For specific comments or questions, or to learn more about the Supplemental Instruction Program, contact me directly or reach out to us on Facebook.