Welcome to the Department of History at Western Michigan University. Our current office hours are listed below and are by appointment only. Please call (269) 387-4531 to make an appointment.
Monday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Thursday, 1 to 5 p.m.
History majors and minors at Western Michigan University are well positioned for the 21st century job market. As a historian-in-training, you will learn to ask questions that matter. You will become a proﬁcient communicator and researcher. You will develop skills to gather information independently, think and respond critically, and make thoughtful and accurate judgments all while developing a broad historical knowledge. As a prospective teacher educator, you will also develop as a creative problem solver able to overcome obstacles, master any responsibility and lead with conﬁdence.
The Department of History can help you achieve your professional goals.
Find out what our undergraduate alumni think of their history education.
Our graduate alumni can give you a taste of career paths after your M.A. or Ph.D. degree in history.
News and events
- History Department Newsletter, Fall 2020
- Dr. Wilson Warren's recent article published in Current History
- Professor Emeritus, Dr. Michael Nassaney, gave a largely-attended talk on the Underground Railroad
- Dr. Joshua Koenig's latest project released by the National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) and PBS
- Dr. Linda Borish was a key historian on PBS American Masters
- WMU and Aquinas College reach accord on accelerated B.A./M.A. program
- Successful dissertation defenses in Department of History
- Dr. Linda Borish receives college award
- History student award winners of 2020 announced
- Article to be published in Central European History by Ph.D. student Jason Rose
- Emeritus Mitch Kachun presents book talk for American Antiquarian Society on March 10
- Koenig and Keller win university research awards
- Ph.D. alum Tony Frazier highlighted in American Historical Association spotlight
Christopher Maiytt, graduate student, solves Kalamazoo Public Library film mystery
- Dr. Lewis Pyenson awarded Life Membership in Royal Society of Canada
- Public History student Tre Goodhue is Bringing History to Life
- Georgia Edmonds receives the 2019 Junior Outstanding Individual Award at National History Day
- 2007 Alumnus John Stempien Co-Edits The Liberty Hyde Bailey Gardener's Companion
- Dr. Paul Maier presented with Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
National association honors Dr. Sally Hadden for service
- Peter Dobek wins Kosciuszko Foundation Scholarship
- Dr. Sherwood "Woody" Cordier Memorial
- Joshua Koenig Contributes to Production of PBS Documentary
- Dr. José Brandão is interviewed by Student Media Group.
- Dr. John Norman Memorial
- Dr. Walter Brunhumer Memorial
- Dr. Michael Nassaney wins Excellence in Humanities Award
Past news from the Department of History.