History majors and minors at Western Michigan University are well positioned for the 21st century job market. As a historian-in-training, you will learn to ask questions that matter. You will become a proﬁcient communicator and researcher. You will develop skills to gather information independently, think and respond critically, and make thoughtful and accurate judgments all while developing a broad historical knowledge. As a prospective teacher educator, you will also develop as a creative problem solver able to overcome obstacles, master any responsibility and lead with conﬁdence.
The Department of History can help you achieve your professional goals!
Find out what our undergraduate alumni think of their history education.
Our graduate alumni can give you a taste of career paths after your M.A. or Ph.D. degree in history.
News and events
- Conor Howard receives History 2016-17 Presidential Scholar Award
- Fifty-Sixth Annual Midwest Medieval History Conference - Call for Papers
- Dr. Strong receives Gender Scholar Award
- Gender Scholar Award Lecture by Dr. Anise K. Strong, March 21, 2017
- Emeritus Professor Volunteers
- Ross Gregory Memorial
- Breisach Research Colloquium Spring Schedule
- Breisach Research Colloquium - Anise Strong, Feb 20, 2017
- 2016 History newsletter
- Lynne Heasley co-edits new book on the Canadian-American Water Relationship
- Linda Borish co-edits History of American Sport
- Ernst Breisach Memorial
- Donate to the Ernst Breisach Endowment for European History. A donor is offering a 1:1 match of any donation up to a total amount of $5,000. Please help us take advantage of this generous offer.
- Past news from the Department of History