The Department of History at Western Michigan University posts news about faculty and students. We welcome alumni and students to let us know what you're up to.
- Check out our fall 2021 newsletter!
- Dr. Sally Hadden participated in a roundtable on "Legacies of the Constitution" hosted by the Institute for Thomas Paine Studies, and the Thomas Paine Cottage-Huguenot & New Rochelle Historical Association.
- Five Top 10 Awards to District 6 Students at the National History Day Contest
- Congratulations to History students Joanne Jeya, Hannah Garrod, and Ian Daly for presenting the research they conducted in Dr. Ángela Pérez-Villa's HIST 4845 class at the Latin American and Latinx Studies Undergraduate Symposium organized virtually by Rollins College, Florida in April 2021.
- Dr. James Palmitessa had an article published in Austrian History Yearbook 52 (2021).
- Ph.D. Student, Kyle Vanderwall, co-authors the Teacher's Edition of the 10th edition of Henretta's America's History for the AP Course (Bedford, Freeman and Worth, 2021).
- Congratulations to our Spring 2021 History Department award winners!
- History Department alum, Dr. Tony Frazier, was selected as a 2021-22 National Humanities Fellow.
- Dr. Skylar Bre'z successfully defended her dissertation entitled, "The Coalitions of National Women's History Month: Practicalities and Consequences" on March 8, 2021. Her Committee consisted of Dr. Edwin Martini (Chair), Dr. Mitch Kachun, and Dr. Susan Freeman.
- History Department Newsletter, Fall 2020
- Dr. Wilson Warren's recent article published in Current History
- Professor Emeritus, Dr. Michael Nassaney, gave a largely-attended talk on the Underground Railroad
- Dr. Joshua Koenig's latest project released by the National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) and PBS
- Dr. Linda Borish was a key historian on PBS American Masters
- WMU and Aquinas College reach accord on accelerated B.A./M.A. program
- History student award winners of 2020 announced
- Article published in Central European History by Ph.D. student Jason Rose
- Emeritus Dr. Mitch Kachun presents book talk for American Antiquarian Society on March 10
- Joshua Koenig and Hannah Keller win university research awards
- History Department Newsletter, Fall 2019
- Successful dissertation defenses in the Department of History
- Dr. Linda Borish receives college award
- Alum Dr. Tony Frazier highlighted in American Historical Association spotlight
Christopher Maiytt, graduate student, solves Kalamazoo Public Library film mystery
- Dr. Lewis Pyenson awarded Life Membership in Royal Society of Canada
- Joshua Koenig Contributes to Production of PBS Documentary
- Dr. José Brandão is interviewed by Student Media Group.
- Dr. Linda Borish Presents and Teaches at Chengdu Sport University
- Public History student Tre Goodhue is Bringing History to Life
- Georgia Edmonds receives the 2019 Junior Outstanding Individual Award at National History Day
- Peter Dobek wins Kosciuszko Foundation Scholarship
- Dr. Borish publishes chapter for book
- 2007 Alumnus John Stempien Co-Edits The Liberty Hyde Bailey Gardener's Companion
- Dr. Paul Maier presented with Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- National association honors Dr. Sally Hadden for service
- Dr. Sherwood "Woody" Cordier Memorial
- Dr. John Norman Memorial
- Dr. Walter Brunhumer Memorial
- Dr. Michael Nassaney wins Excellence in Humanities Award
- Dr. Wilson Warren Publishes Book on Global Meat Eating
- History Department Newsletter, Fall 2017
- Dr. Edwin Martini co-edits Book on the Military and Modern American Culture
Jennifer Rupp, ’98, Michigan Humanities Council officer
- Sylvia Hoffert '68 interviews Laura Bush
- Dr. Mitch Kachun is interviewed on WMUK
- October 12 - H. Nicholas Hamner speaker Nicolette Hahn Niman and Alumni/Emeriti Reception
- Dr. Victor Xiong Receives Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award
- Dr. Linda Borish Interviewed about Battle of the Sexes
- September 20 - Burnham Macmillan Guest Speaker, Dr. Paul Freedman (Yale University), free and open to the public
- Dr. Mitch Kachun publishes new book on Crispus Attucks
- Dr. Linda Borish's new edition of textbook published
- Peter Dobek receives second Kosciuszko Foundation scholarship
- Conor Howard receives History 2016-17 Presidential Scholar Award
- Dr. Anise Strong receives Gender Scholar Award
- Dr. David Benac announces run for Congress
- Gender Scholar Award Lecture by Dr. Anise K. Strong, March 21, 2017
- Emeritus Professor Volunteers
- Ross Gregory Memorial
- History Department Newsletter, Fall 2016
- Dr. Linda Borish Co-Edits History of American Sport
- Dr. Ernst Breisach Memorial
- Donate to the Ernst Breisach Endowment for European History.
- Alumni Advice from William Parsons '67
- Dr. Lynne Heasley co-edits new book on the Canadian-American Water Relationship
- Dr. Sally Hadden Wins Prestigious Legal Foundation Grant
- Dr. James Cousins publishes first book
- Dr. Anise Strong publishes first book
- Fred Dobney Memorial
- Dr. Andrea Berto publishes new book
- Anna-Lisa Cox contributes to the new Smithsonian Museum
- History Club wins National Chapter Award
- Dr. Andrea Berto receives summer grant
- Dr. Coryell associate producer of new documentary
- Dr. Eli Rubin publishes book
- Drs. Wilson Warren, James Cousins and Gordan Andrews (GVSU) publish book on collaboration
- Dr. Jim Palmitessa offers study abroad course
- Martin Hille Visiting Scholar
- Dr. Andrea Berto becomes Emerging Scholar
- Dr. James Cousins on the radio
- Peter Dobek receives Fulbright Award
- BBC interviews Professor Emeritus Dale Porter
- Dr. Andrea Berto receives grants
- Dr. Sally Hadden receives BAAS Award
- John Byczynski publishes article
- Dr. H. Nicholas Hamner Memorial