MASTER OF science
- Meet Graduate College admission standards.
- Successful completion of an undergraduate major or minor equivalent appropriate for intended degree.
- Letter of intent to include education, career and/or research goals and philosophy.
- Current resume.
- Three professional letters of reference.
"Professors were immensely helpful in teaching me to put into practice what I learned in the classroom."Steve Ball, Alumnus
This program is offered in-person.
The Master of Science in exercise science in the Department of Human Performance and Health Education at Western Michigan University is a 36 credit hour program designed to provide the student with an advanced understanding of the physiological and functional adaptations to movement. The program integrates traditional lecture-based courses with hands-on laboratory experiences. One of the major strengths of the program is the combining of the practical application of exercise physiology with current research findings. Students may also individualize their program of study by choosing from a variety of elective courses offered within many departments across the University.
Why exercise science at Western Michigan University?
- Students may individualize their program of study by choosing from a variety of elective courses offered within many departments across the University.
- Students learn through hands-on experience while utilizing top of the line equipment in state of the art lab spaces.
- 100% of WMU exercise science students were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs.
- We are the only institution in the U.S. that includes an optional co-curricular designation known as the WMU Signature. Pathways include: Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
The exercise science program prepares students for careers in:
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Corporate wellness
- Health and fitness promotion
- Strength and conditioning
Graduates also pursue doctoral degrees in exercise physiology and biomechanics or other professional programs such as physical therapy and medicine.
Cost & Funding
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- WMU Assistantships
- Human Performance and Health Education Assistantships
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
- College of Education and Human Development
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus