- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills of a physically-literate and health-literate educator.
- Select developmentally-appropriate learning experiences, articulated with state and national standards.
- Plan and implement those learning experiences through a series of lessons in K-12 settings.
- Select, administer and interpret assessments of learning experiences to inform future instruction.
- Demonstrate motor skill competence and health-related fitness.
- Communicate and advocate for health and healthy school communities.
Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12 (PHETE)
This program is offered in-person.
Our nation and state’s growing focus on the broader notion of wellness has strengthened the preference for careers teaching physical and health education to students. The Michigan State Board of Education has approved new teacher preparation standards for physical and health education. Western Michigan University is the first institution in the state to offer this mandated combined endorsement with dual certification in physical education and health education to teach students in kindergarten through grade 12.
Why physical and health education at Western Michigan University?
Dual-major: This program prepares students as a pre-service teacher candidate to be certified in both physical education and health education, offered in a 4-year or 5-year degree plan. The overarching goal of this dual-major degree program is to assist you in acquiring the skills, knowledge and real-world experiences to become effective, competent and committed physically- and health-literate professionals in today’s society.
Real-world experience: 100% of physical and health education students complete a full-time classroom internship, as well as various clinical experiences throughout coursework.
Creating exceptional educators: Michigan school principals ranked 95% of new teachers prepared at WMU as “effective” or “highly effective” in 2021-22.
Hitting the standard: The WMU teacher education unit is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Explore the lessons and gameplay in Dr. Mauro Andre's Skills and Instruction of Net/Wall Games class.