The College of Education and Human Development’s Office of Admissions and Advising at Western Michigan University serves undergraduate students with majors focusing on human development and teacher education programs. Our vision is to improve the human condition by empowering students to achieve their personal, academic and professional goals. Our mission is to align our advising theory, research and practice with the National Academic Advising Association guidelines by assisting students in developing academic plans through the dissemination of accurate advising information; to empower students to take ownership of their academic journey and to collaboratively share in the responsibility between advisor and student through a holistic and appreciative advising approach; and to create a culture of success where all students can easily access services and where the diversity of every student is welcomed, respected and valued.
Calendars with important dates for registration, refunds, withdrawals, finals, midterm grading, final grading and more can be found on the calendar at Registrar's Office.
Updated: March 27, 2020
WMU remains open and the College of Education and Human Development is here to support your advising needs.
By now, you have received multiple communications from President Montgomery and our Provost, Dr. Jennifer Bott, regarding the university’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak. College of Education and Human Development Advising is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In alignment with courses being offered through distance education for the remainder of the semester, academic advising services will be offered from a distance as our staff works remotely during this time. You will be able to receive advising at a distance via email, phone, and video.
To connect with your advisor, you may call our office at (269) 387-3474. Phone calls will be attended to in the order received. You may also contact your academic advisor via email directly:
If you are unsure of your academic advisor, you can access that information in your Degree Works.
For prospective transfer and high school students, as you do not have an academic advisor of record yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience and be well!
The College of Education and Human Development's Office of Admissions and Advising offers four different types of advising:
After students are admitted to WMU and declare a major in the College of Education and Human Development, they may apply for up to 6 department credits for their high school Career and Technical Education courses that align with our academic programs.
Office hours, location and contact information
Find your major or minor
- Art education major
- Athletic training major—admission to this program is suspended
- Business education major
- Child and family development major
- Coaching minor
- Dietetics major—name changing to Nutrition and Dietetics in fall 2019
- Drafting minor
- Early childhood elementary education major
- Education and human development major
- Elementary education major
- Elementary education with special education—see special education major
- Event management minor
- Exercise science major
- Family and consumer sciences teacher education major
- Family science minor
- Family studies major
- Fashion design and development major
- Fashion merchandising major
- Fashion merchandising minor
- Food service administration major—admission to this program is suspended
- Food service operations and sustainability major—admission to this program is suspended
- Food service operations and sustainability minor
- Graphic arts minor
- Health education (school emphasis) major—admission to this program is suspended
- Health education (school emphasis) minor—admission to this minor is suspended
- Industrial technology education non-vocational major
- Industrial technology education vocational major
- Industrial technology education minor
- Interior design major
- Interior design minor
- Music education major
- Nutrition and dietetics major
- Occupational education studies major
- Physical and health education teacher education: K-12 major
- Physical education: K-12 teacher/coach major—admission to this program is suspended
- Physical education: secondary education emphasis minor—admission to this minor is suspended
- Recreation management major
- Secondary education major—undergraduate program admission suspended beginning spring 2020; see M.A. in Secondary Education
- Special education major
- Sport management major
- Workforce education and development major
- Workforce education and development minor
- Youth and community development major