The College of Education and Human Development’s Office of Admissions and Advising at Western Michigan University serves undergraduate students with majors focusing on human development and teacher education programs. Our vision is to improve the human condition by empowering students to achieve their personal, academic and professional goals. Our mission is to align our advising theory, research and practice with the National Academic Advising Association guidelines by assisting students in developing academic plans through the dissemination of accurate advising information; to empower students to take ownership of their academic journey and to collaboratively share in the responsibility between advisor and student through a holistic and appreciative advising approach; and to create a culture of success where all students can easily access services and where the diversity of every student is welcomed, respected and valued.
Important information regarding advising, Degree Works, registration, transcripts, graduation requirements, tuition, dates for course registration, refunds, withdrawals, grading, and final exam schedules can be found on the registrar's website.
Advising Service update 2021
Updated: February 19, 2021
The College of Education and Human Development is here to support your advising needs.
The advising office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m and advising services will be provided remotely Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In alignment with courses being offered in mixed modalities for fall semester, our services will be available via email, text, phone, video, and in-person (if needs cannot be accommodated remotely).
To connect with your advisor, you may book your appointment online or call our office at (269) 387-3474. Phone calls will be attended to in the order received. You may also contact your academic advisor via email directly:
If you are unsure of your academic advisor, you can access that information in your Degree Works.
For prospective transfer and high school students, as you do not have an academic advisor of record yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions. Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience, and be well!
The College of Education and Human Development's Office of Admissions and Advising offers different types of advising (drop-in is currently unavailable):
After students are admitted to WMU and declare a major in the College of Education and Human Development, they may apply for up to 6 department credits for their high school Career and Technical Education courses that align with our academic programs.
Office hours, location and contact information
Find your major or minor
- Art Education major
- Athletic Training major—admission to this program is suspended
- Business Education major
- Child and Family Development major
- Coaching minor
- Dietetics major—renamed Nutrition and Dietetics
- Drafting minor
- Early Childhood Elementary Education major
- Education and Human Development major
- Elementary Education major
- Event Management minor
- Exercise Science major
- Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education major
- Family Science minor
- Family Studies major
- Fashion Design and Development major
- Fashion Merchandising major
- Fashion Merchandising minor
- Food Service Administration major—renamed Food Service Operations and Sustainability
- Food Service Operations and Sustainability major—admission to this program is suspended
- Food Service Operations and Sustainability minor
- Graphic Arts minor
- Health Education: School major—admission to this program is suspended; see Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12
- Health Education: School minor—admission to this minor is suspended; see Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12
- Industrial Technology Education Non-Vocational major
- Industrial Technology Education Vocational major
- Industrial Technology Education minor
- Interior Design major
- Interior Design minor
- Leadership for Social Change minor
- Music Education major
- Nutrition and Dietetics major
- Occupational Education Studies major
- Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12 major
- Physical Education: Teacher/Coach major—admission to this program is suspended; see Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12
- Physical Education: Secondary Education minor—admission to this minor is suspended; see Physical and Health Education Teacher Education: K-12
- Recreation Management major
- Secondary Education major—admission to this program is suspended; see M.A. in Secondary Education
- Special Education major
- Sport Management major
- Workforce Education and Development major
- Workforce Education and Development minor
- Youth and Community Development major