BACHELOR OF SCIENCE
- "I’ve loved making clothes all my life and would always just wing it and cut things up, which I still like to do, but now I know the right way to do things too which has improved my designs."Rose Soma, founder/owner of Rose Soma, LLC., alumnus, 2021 (read more about Rose Soma)
This program is offered in-person.
Design and development professionals use their creative and technical skills to design products, develop patterns, monitor quality control and assurance and coordinate sourcing activities in apparel and soft goods companies. The major meets increasing industry demand for graduates who understand the industry's design and merchandising aspects. The design and merchandising functions are becoming more interrelated as apparel firms rely increasingly on private brands; and apparel manufacturers assume a more prominent retailing role. Students who elect this option take design, merchandising, and business courses to prepare them for challenging careers in apparel manufacturing, marketing, and retailing companies.
Prospective students may arrange a department visit by contacting Kelly Weathers.
Why fashion design and development at Western Michigan University?
- 97% of 2020-2021 WMU fashion design graduates were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Academic quality and experiential focus. Many transformative learning experiences are offered students, including field experiences, internships, and industry tours.
- A strong connection to the fashion industry through a professional advisory board represented by top industry members and a strong alumni base.
Study abroad opportunities are available. Up to 24 credit hours may be earned through our partnerships with the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, Regents University and London University of the Arts in London, or Florence University of the Arts in Italy.
- Annual fashion show sponsored by Merchandising Opportunities and Design Association (MODA). Read about the 2022 MODA fashion show.
Fashion and technical designers, Product developers, Production managers, Quality control managers, Sourcing managers, Stylists, etc.
Student success and alumni stories
WMU alums have transformed their passion for fashion into challenging and creative careers. You will find our grads working for national retailers and famous brands worldwide. They are designers, buyers, merchandisers, managers and marketers for companies like Anthropologie, Bloomingdale's, David's Bridal, Express, J. Crew, and Land's End. You will find them in some unexpected places as automotive and airplane interior designers and retail software marketers. We are very proud of our alums!
read STUDENT AND ALUMNI TESTIMONIALS
- Merchandising Opportunities and Design Association (MODA) is the student organization representing fashion merchandising and design majors and minors. Joining this organization enhances personal and professional skills and provides opportunities to meet and develop friendships with fellow majors, network with companies and learn about careers. Members use their creativity and leadership skills to help produce annual student fashion shows. Contact faculty advisor Kelly Weathers for more information. Follow them on Instagram @wmumoda
field experiences Internships Study abroad
The College of Education and Human Development Office of Admissions and Advising assists students in planning their studies. Majors should meet with an advisor each semester to ensure that they stay on track toward graduation. Customize your degree with an optional WMU Signature Designation.
course guide and grad plan CONSULT WITH ADVISOR
Student success services
Cost & Funding
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- College scholarships (undergraduate)
- College scholarships (graduate)
- FCS scholarships (Chrystal Grady, Virginia Lucatelli, and Betsy L. Slain Wood are available for FMD students)
- Study abroad scholarships
- International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA) undergraduate scholarships
- Employer-paid tuition
- College of Education and Human Development
- Academic Advising
- International Admissions and Services
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus
(from left to right)