Credits required: 15
5 year plan
|Course number and title||Credits|
|EDLD 2000: Exploring Leadership in a changing world||3|
|EDLD 2020: Leadership Skills for Social Change||3|
|EDLD 3020: Leadership and Advocacy for a Diverse Society||3|
|EDLD 4795: Capstone in Leadership for Social Change||3|
|Elective: Focused elective related to leadership approved by the faculty advisor.||3|
The undergraduate minor in Leadership for Social Change is a 15-credit hour program offered through the Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology in the College of Education and Human Development. Throughout the courses, students will explore their own leadership strengths, practice applying leadership theories to current societal issues, and develop a leadership philosophy that connects their personal passions with their academic major. The ultimate goal of this minor is to help students understand how they can make a difference and how they can provide leadership in a diverse society.
Why Leadership for Social Change at WMU?
The seven critical values of the social change leadership model (2017) are: consciousness of self, congruence, commitment, collaboration, common purpose, controversy with civility, citizenship and change. This model of leadership was built upon the following assumptions which are central to the development and implementation of this minor:
- Leadership is socially responsible; it impacts change on behalf of others
- Leadership is collaborative
- Leadership is a process, not a position
- Leadership is inclusive and accessible to all people
- Leadership is values-based
- Community involvement/service is a powerful vehicle for leadership
This minor provides students with basic leadership theories, experiential activities that will allow them to develop their leadership skills and strategies for using their leadership to advocate for social change and to lead diverse teams. In addition, the minor in Leadership for Social Change challenges students to consider the role of leadership within their major disciplines of study and how they can develop as collaborative leaders within their professional fields to advocate for diverse populations and social change.
Who should declare this minor?
The Leadership for Social Change minor complements a variety of academic majors and encourages students to become leaders who advocate for positive social change and to consider the role of leadership through the lens of their major field of study. Talk to your academic advisor and/or college advising office about declaring this minor.
- Apply theories of leadership in a diverse society, particularly the Social Change Model of Leadership, in a diverse society.
- Articulate a personal philosophy of leadership for social change.
- Develop strategies for leading diverse groups and advocating for social change.
- Demonstrate understanding of the complex nature of leadership and the realities of being a social change leader within their chosen profession.
D. Eric Archer, PhD, CCLS (on sabbatical September 2022 - August 2023)