Students can complete required educational leadership courses from a state-approved university program and receive the K-12 School Administrator Certificate and a Central Office Endorsement
At WMU, you can obtain such certification and this endorsement via several programs.
K-12 Administrator Certification & Principal Endorsement
School Administrator Certification and/or Central Office Endorsement
Please contact Dr. Wayne "Rusty" Stitt email if you have any questions.
Note: Background Check—A recent (within the last two years) background check must be on file in the certification office before we can recommend you for certification. A Michigan iChat will meet this requirement. If you have any convictions, a Judgement of Sentence, Register of Action or Case History must also be on file in the certification office prior to a certification recommendation.
Learn more about becoming certified as an administrator by visiting Western Michigan University's Office of Teacher and Administrator Certification.
Certification in other states
Each state has its own rules for teacher certification or licensing. Other states may require:
- Additional tests, such as the Praxis Test
- Additional courses, such as a course in the history of the particular state
- Application fees
- Official transcripts
- A copy of the Michigan Teaching Certificate
- Criminal background checks and/or fingerprinting
- Most states require verification that the candidate has completed a state-approved program.