Readmission Policies and Procedures

For students in good academic standing

Students who enroll at Western Michigan University but do not return the following term will have one year's valid admission status in which to re-enroll, providing they:

  1. Left in good standing.
  2. Have not attended another college since leaving WMU—if the student has subsequently taken additional college work, they must complete the WMU readmission application and have official transcripts sent to the WMU Office of Admissions from each institution attended.

For students who have been academically dismissed

Students on probation or extended probation who fail to achieve at least a 2.00 grade point average for the enrollment period, or students on final probation who fail to achieve a 2.00 overall GPA, will be dismissed from Western Michigan University. Academic standing policies are available from the registrar's office.

While academic dismissal can feel discouraging, we want you to know that we are here to support you as you adjust your path to realizing your personal, academic and career goals. Readmission is not guaranteed. However, to be considered for readmission to the university through the College of Education and Human Development, students should contact the advising office to set up an appointment with their academic advisor and assigned success coach. At that appointment, an individualized readmission plan will be devised. Students will be expected to attend community college for at least one-15 week semester and successfully complete the courses outlined in the individualized readmission plan. During that semester, students should enroll based on the enrollment they plan to take upon their readmission to WMU; for example, the student should be full-time at the community college if planning to be full-time at WMU.

Students will be expected to complete the semester at community college with a semester GPA of 2.00 or higher and a "C" or higher in each course taken.

Academic forgiveness

Students who last attended WMU four or more years ago may apply for academic forgiveness. For more information, contact the registrar's office at (269) 387-4300.

Applying for readmission

To be considered for readmission complete the steps below  by August 15 for the fall semester and January 1 for spring semester:

  1. Complete the WMU readmission application.
  2. Submit official transcripts from any other institutions that you have attended since you were dismissed from WMU to Office of Admissions, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5211.
  3. Submit the following to the CEHD readmission Committee at the address below:
  • A progress report from the instructor of each class in which you are currently enrolled, if you are taking classes at another institution at the time of application for readmission to WMU.

Readmission Committee
College of Education and Human Development
Office of Undergraduate Advising
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5275

The decision to readmit is determined by the College of Education and Human Development readmission committee or Director of Advising. Petitioning for readmission does not guarantee automatic readmission to the University.