KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential services, Western Michigan University is closed Wednesday, Jan. 23, due to severe weather. All classes are canceled.
The closure includes the University's Kalamazoo and Battle Creek campuses as well as all regional locations in Michigan.
This article will be updated with event cancellations and special hours as information becomes available.
Numerous on-campus events have been canceled. Visit wmich.edu/news/events for a full list. Among them:
- Today's scheduled Board of Trustees meeting has been canceled.
- The Integrated Supply Management Career Night, scheduled for 5 to 8:30 p.m. today, has been canceled.
- The Bernhard Center building is open. The bookstore is closed, and all other offices and services except those listed below also are closed:
Biggby: open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
PNC Bank: open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Subway: open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Bronco Transit buses will not be running today.
- Dining Services—All residence hall dining centers and Café 1903 Late-night carryout are open when the University closes due to weather. Regular hours and menus are followed.
The Reaching for the Dream luncheon planned by Dining Services for today will be served. See the menu and hours.
Campus Cafés such as Flossie's, the Plaza Café and the Bernhard Café are closed.
- The Miller Auditorium ticket office will be open from noon to 6 p.m. for in-person and phone orders at (269) 387-2300. Tickets are available 24/7 at millerauditorium.com.
- Sindecuse Health Center, including the pharmacy, will be open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The cutoff for appointments is 2:30 p.m.
- The Student Recreation Center will be open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Check the center's website for details on fitness class offerings. There will be no climbing wall hours, pool hours or intramural sports.
- University Libraries—All WMU branch libraries are closed. Waldo Library will be open from noon to 5 p.m.
Weather-related University closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.
- 2016, Feb. 25—In an otherwise mild winter, a heavy snow accompanied by high winds closed WMU.
- 2018, Feb. 9—Severe winter weather prompted WMU to close at noon.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.