The mission of the M.P.A. program is to improve the quality of public service by developing professionals and leaders equipped with knowledge and skills in theories, methodology, and innovative practice in the interdisciplinary field of public administration. Our graduates lead and manage a diverse range of government, nonprofit, and healthcare organizations and make positive impacts on the lives of citizens locally, nationally and globally.
(Revision approved by SPAA faculty March 15, 2016.)
The M.P.A. program is modeled around the following core values of public administration:
- Plurality of ideas and perspectives
- Common good, liberty, social justice for all, and democratic governance
- Ethical and competent leadership and decision-making
- Efficient, effective, equitable, and transparent practice of public service
The M.P.A. program goals (approved by SPAA faculty Jan. 27, 2017) are:
- Improve the quality of public service by promoting life-long learning, critical thinking and professional development that are grounded in our program values and NASPAA competencies.
- Enhance ethical and competent leadership and decision-making by integrating faculty teaching, research and service.
- Maintain and enhance the reputation and recognition of the program through innovation and continuous improvement.
- Use data-driven decision-making to maintain and enhance the efficiency, effectiveness, equity and transparency of our M.P.A. program.