Applications to the M.P.A. program must meet the Graduate College requirements of waiving an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university with an overall grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Students with an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5, who demonstrate a record of relevant work experience and professional advancement, may also be considered for conditional admission. While standardized language tests (TOEFL or IELTS) apply to international applicants, submitting scores from GRE or GMAT tests is optional.
Admission criteria and application instructions
The following must be submitted in order to be considered for admission:
- The completed University online application for Graduate admission, with paid application fee;
- An official transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended (except Western Michigan University);
- A written statement of how the M.P.A. degree will help you meet your personal and career goals. Also, address how your experiences align with the strengths of the MPA program and faculty, your creative or scholarly, interests and your professional goals including future jobs or careers;
- A current resume including all academic, professional, and volunteer experience; and
- Three letters of recommendation (at least one academic and at least one professional).
Admission decisions are based on theundergraduate grade point average, any prior graduate course work, work experience, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and statement of career goals.
WMU has an online graduate application system that allows all students (domestic and international) to submit required information into one system. General application information for the University, as well as specific requirements for individual programs, are captured into this system.
Applicants are asked to include some program-specific information, with a summary for these requirements for the MPA program found here. Applicants are encouraged to bookmark this information for quick reference while working through the graduate application process.
If you have additional questions concerning the M.P.A. program admissions process, please review the frequently asked questions. If you have more in-depth questions, contact the School of Public Affairs and Administration.