Master of Public Administration: How to Apply

You will find information pertaining to the application process for the M.P.A. program offered by Western Michigan University's School of Public Affairs and Administration on this page.

Applicant criteria and application instructions


The following criteria will be used to fill available spaces in the M.P.A. program with the best possible candidates. In order to be competitive, you must have:

  • An undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or better (4.00 scale), and a 3.00 GPA in all previously taken graduate course work.
  • Evidence demonstrating your communication skills and written competence in a summary of your experiences in academic, research, creative or scholarly activities and indicate how these experiences make you an ideal candidate for the MPA program. Also, address how these experiences align with the strengths of the MPA program, faculty, your interests, creative or scholarly interests and with your professional goals including future jobs or careers. 
  • Evidence that the applicant’s academic background and employment or volunteer experience are related to the interdisciplinary field of public administration as applied in government, nonprofit, or health care organizations.

Application instructions

WMU has a new online graduate application system that allows all students (domestic and international) to submit required information into one system. General application information for the University, as well as specific requirements for individual programs, are captured into this system.

Apply Here

Applicants are asked to include some program-specific information, with a summary for these requirements for the MPA program found here. Applicants are encouraged to bookmark this information for quick reference while working through the graduate application process.

M.P.A. deadlines


International Students


If you have additional questions concerning the M.P.A. program admissions process, please review the frequently asked questions. If you have more in-depth questions, contact the School of Public Affairs and Administration