The School of Public Affairs and Administration at Western Michigan University offers, in conjunction with the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office, various financial aid programs, scholarships and assistantships to students who are just entering as well as those already in a graduate program.
The graduate certificates in nonprofit leadership and administration and health care administration are non-degree seeking programs, which may not qualify for certain financial aid or scholarships. If you have questions, please contact Western Michigan University's Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office.
Financial aid programs
Graduate Student Travel Fund
The Graduate Student Research Grants are intended to assist graduate students with the unusual and extraordinary costs associated with scholarly research, scientific inquiries, and other scholarly activities.
Students may apply for:
- Gwen Frostic Doctoral Fellowship
- World Politics and Statecraft Fellowship at the Smith Richardson Foundation
- M.P.A. Scholar and Emerging Student Award
- The Michigan Township Association offers the Robert R. Robinson Scholarship to future local leaders. The scholarship, up to $1000, is available to a junior, senior, or graduate student in a Michigan college or university pursuing a degree in public administration, public affairs, or a field closely related to local government administration. If you have questions, please contact Amy West at (517) 321-6467 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Robert Kleiner Memorial Scholarship is available to students by the WMU-AAUP
- White House Fellow: Applications are due in January of each year and the Fellowship runs from August to August.
- West Michigan Chapter of the National Association of Health Service Executives is offering scholarship awards for graduate students seeking a MBA or MPA degree with a Health Care Administration concentration. They are awarding three $500 scholarships. The application will be available starting today (February 6, 2017) with a deadline of April 28, 2017. If you are awarded the scholarship, you will be notified by June 18, 2017. Awardees will officially be presented with their scholarships at our annual golf event on July 18, 2017. You must complete the application and the essay question included in the application. Also required are two letters of recommendations: one professional and one academic.If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Jasmine I. Scales at email@example.com or call her at 773-574-8120.
Current and former students planning on or currently working full-time in the public service sector can apply for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. This program potentially allows for federal student loans to be forgiven.