The Michigan Department of Education approves certification, not the Office of Teacher and Administrator Certification. If you have any convictions or civil infractions you will need to provide Western Michigan University with any of the following from the court(s) where you were convicted or fined:
- Case history
- Judgment of sentence
- Register of action
WMU may have problems placing you in a school setting for internship and is not responsible if you are not accepted for placement. Certification is not guaranteed when you have a conviction and certain convictions will prohibit certification.
Convictions that will prohibit certification
- Accosting, enticing or soliciting a child for immoral purposes.
- Involvement in child sexually abusive activity or material.
- A third or subsequent violation of any combination of engaging in obscene or indecent conduct in public, indecent exposure or a local ordinance substantially corresponding to either offense.
- First, second, third or fourth degree criminal sexual conduct.
- Assault with intent to commit CSC.
- If the victim is less than 18 years of age the crime of gross indecency (except for a juvenile disposition or adjudication), kidnapping, sodomy or soliciting another for prostitution.
- Leading, enticing or carrying away a child under 14 years of age.
- Any other violation of a state law or local ordinance constituting a sexual offense against an individual less than 18 years of age.
- An offense committed by a sexually delinquent person.
- An attempt or conspiracy to commit one of the offenses listed above.
Enumerated misdemeanor convictions that require disclosure
- Felonious assault on a child, child abuse in any degree or an attempt to commit child abuse in any degree.
- Cruelty, torture or indecent exposure involving a child.
- Delivery of a narcotic to a minor or student or within 1,000 feet of school property (333.7410).
- Breaking and entering (750.115).
- Knowingly allowing a minor to consume or possess alcohol or a controlled substance at a social gathering (750.141a).
- Accosting, enticing or soliciting a child for an immoral purpose (750.145a).
- Larceny from a vacant dwelling (750.359).
- Assault; assault and battery (750.81).
- Assault; infliction of serious injury (750.81a).
- Selling or furnishing alcoholic liquor to a person less than 21 years of age (436.33).
Required disclosure and immediate suspension of certificate upon conviction
- Manufacturing or delivering controlled substance (7401(2)(a)(i)).
- Possession of a controlled substance (7403(2)(a)(i)).
- Recruiting, inducing, soliciting or coercing minor to commit a felony (333.7416).
- Assault with intent to commit murder (750.83).
- Assault with intent to rob and steal armed (750.89).
- Attempt to murder (750.91).
- First degree murder (750.316).
- Second degree murder (750.317).
- Armed robbery aggravated assault (750.529).
- Misdemeanor—delivery of a narcotic to a minor or student or within 1,000 feet of school property (333.7410).