School Counselor License
If you have completed an approved school counseling program at Western Michigan University and are seeking certification or licensure, please follow this application process.
- Complete an approved School Counseling License or Endorsement program.
- Pass the School Counselor (#051) MTTC Subject Exam—be sure to have your scores sent to Western Michigan University when you register for the exam.
- Submit background check results—A recent (within the last two years) background check must be on file in the certification office before we can recommend you for certification. A Michigan iChat will meet this requirement. If you have any convictions, a Judgement of Sentence, Register of Action, or Case History must also be on file in the certification office prior to a certification recommendation
- Apply for preliminary authorization, school counseling license, or school counseling endorsement in the Michigan Online Educator Certification System. If you do not already have a Michigan Online Educator Certification System account, please view the directions to create an initial account.
- Report convictions—honestly report any conviction or civil infraction, excluding speeding tickets.
- Must report conviction information on all of your applications for current certification and all future certifications.
- Provide the Judgment of Sentence, Register of Actions or Case History for each offense to our office.
- University review and recommendation—after application, your identified university will review and recommend the application. Please allow five to seven business days for this process; a conviction may delay this process.
- Pay for your license—Once the certification office has recommended you, you will receive email notification of your final approval and required fee from the Michigan Online Educator Certification System
- Print your license—Once the fee is paid, you will need to print your certificate and obtain notarization.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact our office.