What can you expect from a finance degree from Western Michigan University? In this program, you will develop a broad understanding of financial decision making. Case studies, internships and study abroad opportunities will enable you to learn the skills necessary to become a leader in the financial industry.
Our finance major is recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute University Affiliation Program.
As a finance student you have the opportunity to apply to manage a portfolio of $2.5 million of real money in the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, under the direction of an experienced money manager, in our Student Managed Investment Fund course. Bloomberg Certification is a required component of our program.
While at WMU, you will master the skills needed to:
- Assist the treasury manager with raising funds, cash management and acquiring and disposing of assets.
- Deliver trust services, financial products and advice to bank customers.
- Evaluate and compare the relative quality of various securities in a given industry.
- Evaluate and recommend approval of loan application for business and individuals.
- Interpret data affecting investment programs, such as price, yield, stability, future trends in investment risk and economic influences.
- Manage short-term credit needs and cash availability of a company.
- Prepare plans of action for investment based on financial analysis.
Graduates with finance degrees work in corporate finance, banking, investments, insurance, real estate and financial advising.
Ninety-one percent of finance graduates are employed or in graduate school within three months of graduation.
Beyond the classroom
Our finance majors learn, grow and contribute to the success of our student organization, the Financial Services Club, which offers students a variety of activities such as speakers, resume workshops, travel and volunteer opportunities. This organization also provides professional and social activities, including working closely with professionals in various areas of finance.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in finance are working as:
- Commercial real estate sales and agents
- Credit analysts
- Credit managers
- Financial advisors
- Financial analysts
- Insurance agents
- Insurance claims professionals
- Loan officers
- Mortgage loan officers
- Real estate advisors
- Real estate appraisers
- Residential real estate agents and brokers
- Treasury management professionals
Among the companies they work for are:
- Ally Bank
- Comerica Bank
- Eaton Company
- Fifth Third Bank
- Greenleaf Trust
- Kellogg Company
- PNC Bank
- Sanford Advisory
- Whirlpool Corporation
Where is this program offered?