Our finance major is part of the CFA® Institute University Affiliation Program.
Reasons you will love our finance degree program:
- 9 of 10 business students are employed within three months of graduation.
- Ph.D. faculty-led courses that are relevant to the industry.
- Real-world experience in finance to build your skills and competitive advantage.
- Finance scholarships to put your educational goals within reach.
- Registered Student Organizations for professional and social programming.
In the finance program, you will develop a broad understanding of financial decision making. Case studies, internships and study abroad opportunities will enable you to learn the skills necessary to become a leader in the financial industry.
You might even have the opportunity, as a finance undergraduate student, to manage a real portfolio of $2.3 million in the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, under the direction of an experienced money manager, in our Student Managed Investment Fund course. Bloomberg Certification is a required component of the program.
Invest in your future with a finance major from WMU!
Are you a future student?
Do you want to switch to the finance major?
Financial Services Club
The Financial Services Club is a student organization targeted toward financial careers such as financial planning, insurance, accounting, estate planning and wealth management. Membership in FSC includes membership in the Society of Financial Service Professionals. FSC offers events with professional speakers, resume workshops, travel and volunteer opportunities.
Finance degree courses
Take the following four courses in this order:
- FIN 3100—Introduction to Financial Markets
- FIN 3450—Computer Applications in Finance
- FIN 3510—Investment Analysis
- Advanced economics course at the 3000+ level
Electives (four required)
- FIN 3300—Real Estate Fundamentals
- FIN 3310—Real Estate Finance
- FIN 3350—Small Business Finance
- FIN 3360—Funding New and Growing Ventures
- FIN 3410—eFinance
- FIN 3600—Risk and Insurance
- FIN 3720—Estate Planning
- FIN 3730—Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits
- FIN 4120—Global Financial Markets
- FIN 4250—Short-term Financial Management
- FIN 4260—Corporate Finance
- FIN 4320—Real Estate Investments
- FIN 4330—Real Estate Appraisal
- FIN 4370—Real Estate Management
- FIN 4420—International Finance
- FIN 4480—Internships in Finance
- FIN 4530—Securities Analysis
- FIN 4710—Applications in Personal Financial Planning
- FIN 5530—Student Managed Investment Fund
Finance Degree career placement
Recent WMU graduates with finance degrees are:
- Commercial real estate sales and agents
- Credit analysts
- Credit managers
- Financial advisors
- Financial analysts
- Insurance agents
- Insurance claims professionals
- Loan officers
- Mortgage loan officers
- Real estate advisors
- Real estate appraisers
- Residential real estate agents and brokers
- Treasury management professionals
If you have questions or concerns related to your coursework, or you seek career advising, contact a faculty member listed below:
Email Bolortuya Enkhtaivan