Qualified high schools seniors are eligible to compete for the most prestigious academic scholarship at WMU. For consideration, students must submit the following by the Early Action deadline of November 15* of their senior year:
- Completed WMU admission application
- 3.7+ cumulative GPA (weighted) at the end of junior year of high school.
- 1230+ redesigned SAT or 26+ ACT by the application deadline.
*Deadline is extended to next business day if published date occurs over the weekend.
$60,000 total award ($15,000 per year for four years). Awarded to approximately 20 competitors annually.
Bronco Merit Scholarship
$10,000 total award ($2,500 per year for four years). All students who attend the competition will receive the Bronco Merit Award. Up to 60 students will be selected to continue in the process, resulting in higher award amounts.
Award details and renewal criteria
- Actively participate as a member of the Lee Honors College and the Medallion class as well as serve as an ambassador for the college and university.
- Paid in equal amounts, fall and spring only.
- Enroll fall term immediately after high school graduation.
- Must earn and maintain a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA after enrolling at Western Michigan University.
- Merit-based and renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters of undergraduate study, or until graduation requirements are met, whichever occurs first.
- Students entering fall 2020 must earn 28 credit hours per academic year, no minimum credits per semester.
- Renewal maintenance will be considered at the end of the summer terms before awards disburse for the following academic year.