Student Complaint Tracking and Reporting
To assist in tracking complaints throughout the academic year, the Office of Institutional Effectiveness (IE) has created a template tracking log for complaint recipients to use. If units use this form throughout the academic year, it will be much easier at the next reporting cycle to identify patterns, report data to IE, and create strategies for continuous quality improvement.
IE has ended its data collection period for the 2018-19 academic year. The previous Annual Reports on Student Complaints can be accessed by clicking on the link below:
Student CoMPLAINT Data collection Process
The Policy on Student Complaint Tracking and Reporting establishes WMU's structure for handling and reporting student complaints. While units will be responsible for developing and implementing their specific areas' procedure for receiving and handling student complaints, this policy provides the University's expectation of how such procedures are to be documented and reported.
The Annual Report on Student Complaint Tracking form is the standardized form to be submitted to Institutional Effectiveness by all units. The goal is to collect campus-wide information on the number and frequency of complaints, average time for review, referral and resolution, and recommendations for improvement.
The form collects information on:
- Description of the process the unit/department uses to manage student complaints
- Total number of complaints
- Complaint category
- Average timeline for complaint review and resolution
- Number of complaints referred by the Ombudsman
- Resolution type and description
- Partnering units
- Documentation of how units review complaint information and utilize in planning for process improvement
- Website link to unit student complaint procedures.