Representing veterans, MBA students of the Haworth College of Business have their portraits taken around campus. student poses near Schneider Hall.

Veterans and Military Grants and Aid

At Western, we’re proud of our robust military and veteran student population and for consistently being ranked as a Military Friendly university and Best for Vets by Military Times magazine. Among the services we offer through our Office of Military and Veterans Affairs are military financial aid and benefit eligibility information. Our scholarships, grants and other forms of aid are available for active and nonactive military members.

We look forward to helping you get the most out of your education. Read on to learn about our tuition assistance programs to see if you qualify.


The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs at WMU provides scholarships to our military students during the fall and spring semesters. Scholarships are available for active and veteran students, branch- and degree-specific students, dependents and more.

Veterans grants and aid

If you are a child of a deceased or disabled veteran, you may be eligible for a tuition grant. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs also has financial assistance programs available.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to students older than 16 and younger than 26 years of age who are the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have died or become totally and permanently disabled as a result of military service.

Veterans Affairs benefits

Find important handouts and forms at the U.S. Department Veterans Affairs website.

Pride points

  • $6,000 per academic year to members of the Michigan National Guard through the State Tuition Assistance Program

  • 9 scholarships and grants available for Michigan state residents

  • Best for Vets ranking each survey year since 2010

    Military Times

    View the ranking

Military grants and aid

Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program

The State Tuition Assistance Program (STAP) provides tuition assistance of up to $6,000 per academic year to members of the Michigan National Guard. This is a repayment program, and members whose 9/11 GI Bill® pays 100% of tuition and fees do not qualify for this benefit.


The STAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who:

  1. Are active in the National Guard, including the traditional service of one weekend a month and two weeks a year.
  2. Are not absent without leave or under Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) charges.
  3. Meet the additional criteria established by The Adjutant General (TAG) consistent with the Guard’s recruiting and retention requirements.

The STAP provides assistance to students attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school or trade school located in Michigan. The program also provides assistance to students in any course of study that is intended to culminate in vocational or technical training, a certificate or the student’s first associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.

For more information, go to State of Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs or call (517) 481-7640.


Students who are currently serving in the Army National Guard or Army Reserve may be eligible to pursue a commission as an officer while continuing their service in the Guard or Reserve through the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). Soldiers contracted in the SMP receive a monthly living stipend from ROTC and may be eligible for additional drill pay. SMP Cadets may also be eligible for full tuition ROTC Scholarships.

For more information and to determine eligibility, contact the Department of Military Science and Leadership at (269) 387-8122 or (800) WMU-ROTC (968-7682), or request information through our contact form.


Student quote

  • Western is a good fit for me. I’m hoping to stay somewhat close to aircraft and ultimately work for a company that contracts with the military.

    Senior Airman Dustin Peek, aerospace engineering major

Military and veterans affairs

Our Office of Military and Veterans Affairs offers financial aid and benefit support to our veterans, service members and family members of veterans as well as academic guidance and mentorship. If you have questions about WMU, the Veterans Administration or the campus community, we’re here to help you get answers.

Visit Military and Veterans Affairs  


More funding opportunities

  • Federal student grants: A federal student grant is a type of financial aid that you don’t have to pay back. They come in the form of the federal Pell Grant, the federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and the federal TEACH Grant.

  • Institutional scholarships: Scholarships and grants are types of financial aid that do not need to be repaid. They are a great way to pay for your education and may reduce the need for student loans.

  • Private scholarships: Private scholarships are free funds from sources outside of WMU. Scholarships that are received from a private source must be reported to the University and must be factored in to existing student financial aid offers.

  • Loans: Loans are another way to finance your education. Undergraduate and graduate students and parents of dependent students may borrow money to pay for educational expenses.