After applying for financial aid, many students want to know where their money is. The all-important answer depends a lot on you. Financial aid is scheduled to pay toward your account approximately 10 days before the semester begins. Your aid will be disbursed only if you have completed all of your requirements.

Visit Self-Service, and choose the specific aid year if you are unsure where you stand. The “Requirements” link will tell you if you have additional documents to turn in, whether you have to complete a promissory note or loan entrance counseling. Keep track of your financial aid status using our checklist

Other ways to pay your balance

Drop box

Bronco Express has two drop boxes available for the submission of documents and check or money order payments (no cash payments). One drop box is located outside of the Student Financial Aid office in the lobby and the second located outside of Cashiering in the Seibert Administration building. When submitting multiple pages, please use a stapler, paper clip or envelope. Western ID Numbers (WIN) MUST be included on all documents.


An overpayment or excess financial aid paid to your account will be refunded to you. Refunds can either be directly deposited to your personal account or they may be mailed to you. Accounts Receivable has complete information about the University's refund options. 

Personal payment options

Tuition, fees, residence hall charges, University apartment rent, health center charges, library fines and other University related charges on your student account can be paid by cash, check, credit card or electronic checking or savings. WMU accepts payments by electronic checking or savings on the Web. Credit and debit card payments (American Express, MasterCard, VISA or Discover) can be made online only and are subject to a convenience fee of 2.95% or $3, whichever is larger. Authorized Proxy Users may make payments using the Payment and Account Information website.

  • Payments can be made at Bronco Express with check (personal or cashier’s) or money order.
  • No payments can be made via phone.
  • No credit or debit card payments are accepted by mail or in person.
  • Parking violation payments can be made online or in person at parking services

Tax benefits

Taxpayers may be eligible for education-related tax deductions or tax credits, including: American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit, Student Loan Interest Deduction and other tax benefits for education. The IRS Publication 970 Tax Benefits for Higher Education has further information.

WMU does not provide personal tax advice. To determine your eligibility for any educational related tax deductions or tax credits, please contact a personal tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service.

1098-T form

WMU is required to mail a 1098-T form to most students on the amount of tuition and qualified fees paid. The 1098-T form is mailed by Jan. 31 each year. To claim the credit, the student or parent needs to complete the IRS Form 8863.

Each year after Jan. 31, you can also access your own 1098-T information. If you have questions about the information indicated on your 1098-T form, please call (866) 428-1098.