Short-term Loans

Short-term loans are available on a limited basis for books at the beginning of each semester/session, or for emergency situations throughout the semester/session—considered on an individual basis. To apply for a short-term loan, please see a student services representative at Bronco Express.


  • Registered for classes for the semester/session.
  • Not a WMU employee.
  • No past due charges on billing account.
  • WMU account is not and has never been in collection.
  • No outstanding "non-sufficient funds" checks.
  • No history of three or more NSF checks.
  • Not in default on a federal loan.
  • No monetary registration hold.
  • The loan must be for books or emergency related educational expenses.
  • If "current balance due" is not zero, financial aid for the current semester is pending and the student meets the criteria listed below:
    • Financial aid pending for current semester must be sufficient to cover current balance due.
    • All requested financial aid documents have been submitted.
    • If receiving a Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan, a signed Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling is needed.
    • If receiving a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan, a signed Master Promissory Note is needed, approved credit check and authorization by the parent that the short-term loan may be paid by the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan.
    • Meet the enrollment requirements for programs awarded.
    • Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid purposes.

Books and educational emergencies


  • You may receive up to $500 or the cost of books—whichever is less—if the:
    • Student has not received a recent refund and
    • Pending aid is enough to cover balances owed as well as book loan amount.

Educational emergencies

  • You may receive up to $500 if the:
    • Account balance is paid in full, or
    • Current semester's financial aid is pending and it is sufficient to cover balance owed.
  • Individual circumstances considered if you still owe a balance for current semester/session.
  • Need documentation of bills owed (e.g., eviction notice, shut-off notice, etc.).
  • Funds requested are for education-related expenses (e.g., rent eviction notice, medical, utilities shut-off notice, transportation repairs, food or child care).
  • Loans are not approved for credit card bills, long distance telephone charges or cable television.
  • Checks are issued to the vendor and the student; available in 24 hours at Bronco Express.
  • For extenuating circumstances only. Not intended for repeated use.


  • Loans are generally due in 30 days but no later than the last day of your enrollment for the academic year.
  • If not paid by the due date, you will incur a service charge at 1.5% a month on the unpaid balance.
  • Delinquency in the repayment of a short-term loan will prevent future registration or release of transcripts.