Veterans Resources

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to students older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who are the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have died or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of military service.

Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program

The State Tuition Assistance Program (STAP) provides tuition assistance of up to $6,000 per academic year to members of the Michigan National Guard. This is a repayment program and members whose 9/11 GI Bill pays 100% of tuition and fees do not qualify for this benefit.

The STAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who (1) are active in the National Guard (including the traditional service of one weekend/month and two weeks/year; (2) are not absent without leave or under UCMJ charges; and (3) meet the additional criteria established by the TAG consistent with the guard’s recruiting and retention requirements.

The STAP will provide assistance to students attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school, or trade school located in Michigan.

The STAP will provide assistance to students in any course of study that is intended to culminate in vocational or technical training, a certificate, or the student’s first associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.

State of Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (517) 481-7640

Veterans Affairs Benefits
• MGIB Active Duty – Chapter 30 – for SM/vets with at least 2 years AD. Had to have paid into this program to get money out.
• MGIB SELRES – Chapter 1606 – for guardsmen and reservists
• Dependents Education Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35 – for dependents of vets who are 100% disabled
• Post 9-11 GI Bill – Chapter 33 – for SM/vets who served at least 90 days active. Max benefit is 36 months. Includes housing allowance and book stipends.
• Vocational Rehabilitation and Education (VR&E) (aka “Voc Rehab”) – Chapter 31 – for SM/vets who have a VA disability rating of at least 10%


Students who are currently serving in the Army National Guard or Army Reserve may be eligible to pursue a commission as an officer while continuing their service in the Guard or Reserve through the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). Soldiers contracted in the SMP receive a monthly living stipend from ROTC and may be eligible for additional drill pay. SMP Cadets may also be eligible for full tuition ROTC Scholarships. 

For more information and to determine eligibility contact the Department of Military Science and Leadership (269) 387-8122 or (800) WMU-ROTC (968-7682). Email at