This document establishes rules for obtaining and using mailing lists at Western Michigan University. There are four options for mailing lists at Western Michigan University.
W-Exchange Teams are created by the individual to work collaboratively with others. Besides the ability for a mailing list, Teams also offer chats, SharePoint, OneDrive, Planner and other options.
Dynamic lists are generated by the system and will include anyone who meets the criteria the list was defined for. Request a dynamic list. You will be taken to ITDirect and asked to login with your Bronco NetID and password.
One-time lists are created and used once, for a specific purpose. Request a one-time list. You will be taken to ITDirect and asked to login with your Bronco NetID and password.
Self-managed lists are managed by the owner who can add and remove people to the list using the Mailing List Manager application. Request a self-managed list. You will be taken to ITDirect and asked to login with your Bronco NetID and password.
Dynamic and self-managed groups
- Must be University-related.
- Must be sponsored by WMU faculty or staff member.
- Membership is not limited to WMU.
- Expected traffic levels should be moderate.
- Name is in format of dept-group at wmich.edu.
- Messages cannot be archived.
- Can be moderated or members only.
- Members cannot self join.
One-time mailing lists
- Generated for a specific purpose.
- Take approximately four hours to add into the email system.
- Must be sponsored by faculty or staff.
- Generally usable for only a few days.
Individuals utilizing WMU mailing lists shall abide by the rules of this policy and shall not violate WMU's mass email policy. Any person found to be in violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as defined by current University policy.
Revised: May, 2018