Frequently Asked Questions

Western Michigan University Parking Services FAQ

What are the address, hours and telephone number for parking services?

Parking Services is located at 2507 W. Michigan Avenue and is one block east of the intersection of Howard Street and West Michigan Avenue. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday,  and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday. The telephone number is (269) 387-4609.

Do I have to register my car if I want to park on campus?

Yes, all vehicles operated by students, faculty and staff must be registered with Parking Services.  

What do I do if the car I registered is not available or broken down?

A temporary parking permit must be obtained at Parking Services for the period the registered vehicle will be out of service. There is no cost for the temporary permit issued to another family owned , rental, or dealership vehicle. A no cost permit must be obtained during Parking Services business hours. Vehicle registration is required to receive the permit. Outside of Parking Services business hours, permits can be obtained at the kiosk located in front of the Parking Services building. Temporary permits at the kiosk must be purchased at a cost of $5.00 per day and $15.00 per week.

Am I a student even though I am not enrolled?

Yes, you are considered a student until you either graduate or leave the University.

Are tickets written between semesters, holidays, weekends, and nights?

Yes, tickets are written on campus throughout the entire year, 24 hours a day. However, there is a seven day grace period at the beginning of each semester in student lots only. All faculty/staff lots and meters are enforced.

What if I park for just a minute or I am given permission to park by a friend or a professor?

Even if you only park for a minute or two, the vehicle is still illegally parked. You would be responsible for the ticket.

What do I do if I sell my car or have the windshield replaced?

You need to remove the current sticker from the windshield before the car is sold or the windshield is replaced. Bring the sticker, your Bronco ID, and the registration to the new car into Parking Services for a replacement sticker at a cost of $25.

What do I do if I have a visitor come to see me while I am living on campus?

Parents are issued permits at no charge at Parking Services, but must present the vehicle registration along with an ID. Other visitors are required to purchase a permit to park on campus and also must present the vehicle registration and ID. Daily permits may be purchased for $5 and weekly permits for $15. If Parking Services is closed, temporary permits may be obtained at the kiosk in front of the Parking Services building.

Do I need a permit to park if I am a student and only take classes after 5 p.m.?

Yes, parking is enforced 24 hours a day. A permit is required for night classes as well. Daily permits are available for $5. Temporary permits specifying a particular day of the week may also be purchased for an entire semester. This is often less expensive than a semester permit if a person only attends class once a week. Contact Parking Services for more information.