2018 Photo contest information
Western Michigan University students who study outside of the United States in any of the following sessions or semesters are eligible to enter up to six photos—one per category— and one video from their study abroad experience:
- Summer II 2017
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2018
- Summer I 2018
- Summer II 2018
Three finalists from each category will be chosen by a selection committee; winners will be decided by the WMU campus community during the week of the 2018 WMU Study Abroad Fair. Prizes include gift certificates to the WMU Bookstore and a canvas print of the student photo.
Contest entry deadline: August 26, 2018.
The contest offers three categories and six subcategories for submissions. Applicants are limited to one entry per sub-category and may only win in one sub-category. Photos and videos must be high resolution—one megabyte or larger files. Contest categories:
Broncos in Action
The key to the following categories are candid and thoughtful photos of WMU students in action!
- Learning Abroad: Candid photos of WMU students engaged in learning activities inside or outside of the classroom.
- Cultural Activities: Candid photos of WMU students engaged and/or participating in local culture.
- Group Shots: A group of WMU students engaged in a study abroad course.
The key to the following categories are candid and thoughtful photos that give insight to local culture!
Locals: Photos of native people, local friends, cultural displays, etc., in your study abroad destination.
Places: Artful and interesting shots of buildings, monuments, landscape, architecture, nature, etc., in your study abroad destination.
Food: Photos of local foods in markets, being prepared, on the table, etc.
Study Abroad in 60 seconds:
The key to Study Abroad in 60 Seconds is to create a thoughtful video that gives insight to the study abroad experience in one minute or less.
See past winners
- Photo and video files must be high resolution—one megabyte or larger files.
- One entry per sub-category.
- For each photo, include a title, the location, year, and a caption no longer than one sentence. Submissions that do not include all of this information will be disqualified.
- All photos submitted and considered for awards may be used by Study Abroad for website or print marketing.
- The winning photos and video will be displayed in the Study Abroad office and used for marketing purposes across campus.
- To enter, send an email with SA Photo Contest in the subject line. Include your phone number, the photos as attachments, and the required information for each photo and/or video submitted—title, location, year and semester and one-sentence caption—to: email@example.com.