As an undergraduate learning assistant in the Department of Biological Sciences at Western Michigan University, you will have several job responsibilities and weekly time commitments. These include but may not be limited to:
- Attendance at lectures, unless excused by instructor of record.
- Supervise student work during lab and assist with set–up of laboratory or other instructional spaces.
- Attendance at weekly lab meetings and prep sections. You may also assist with proctoring exams.
- Assist with grading.
- Serve as tutors and assist with proctoring exams.
- One office hour per week per section taught.
- Adherence to all University policies, including student code of conduct, confidentiality policies and FERPA.
Total time commitment is approximately 10 hours per week for one section taught and 20 hours per week for two sections taught.
Compensation for an undergraduate learning assistant is $1,200 per section taught, with a maximum of two sections per semester. This will be paid at an hourly wage as a WMU student employee. Students are responsible for reporting all jobs to all supervisors and can work no more than 25 hours per week or 50 hours per pay period for all campus jobs during fall and spring semesters. International students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week. In addition, you will receive instruction experience which can help in future jobs endeavors.
Undergraduate learning assistant positions are contingent upon adequate enrollment and funding, and are subject to change or revocation based on the University’s determination that there is inadequate enrollment or funding for the course.
An undergraduate learning assistant must be enrolled half time or a minimum of six credits—three credits for graduate students—each semester.
By submitting this form, you indicate that you have read and understand the responsibilities and time commitments and agree to them, in the event you are given an undergraduate learning position with the Department of Biological Sciences.
Department of Biological Sciences
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5410 USA
Phone (269) 387-5600
Fax (269) 387-5609
3425 Wood Hall, Mail Stop 5410