BENEFITS OF STUDYING ENGLISH AT CELCIS:
- CELCIS is an established program – helping students succeed for over 40 years!
- CELCIS was accredited by the Commission on English Language Programs (CEA) in 2000, 2005, and 2015, and is accredited through 2025 (one of the few programs in the world to receive CEA accreditation three times!).
- Completing the CELCIS Advanced level satisfies WMU’s language requirements for admission; CELCIS graduates do not need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission to most programs.
- The CELCIS Curriculum teaches you valuable skills (presentation, research, etc.) to help you succeed in the university.
- All full-time CELCIS faculty have master’s degrees in TESL or related fields and have many years of teaching experience. Most faculty have lived and taught overseas.
- CELCIS can accommodate students with varying levels of language ability, including those at the beginner level, as well as students with disabilities.
- CELCIS students can get additional help at Study Table or at the dedicated language lab staffed by CELCIS instructors.
BENEFITS OF Participating in ACTIVITIES AT CELCIS
- Help the local community by volunteering at a retirement home, serving meals at a soup kitchen, or assisting at an animal shelter.
- Participate in recreational and cultural activities such as visits to Lake Michigan, music festivals, sporting events, museums, and sledding.
- Join a student organization—over 350 to choose from!
- Have fun while practicing your conversation skills by participating in the Conversation Circles program.
- Meet your WMU program advisor at the CELCIS Meet and Greet event. This is a great opportunity for networking!
BENEFITS OF STUDYING IN KALAMAZOO
- Live in Kalamazoo — a vibrant, friendly, and safe community with a population of 75,000.
- Kalamazoo is the best of both worlds – many of the dining and cultural events of a large city, with the safety, beauty, and affordability of a small town.
- Enjoy the benefits of living in a state with four very distinct seasons. Winters are snowy and summers are sunny!
- Visit big cities such as Chicago or Detroit – only 2 hours away. Train transportation is available, with an AMTRAK train station downtown.
- Visit beautiful Lake Michigan --- enjoy the beaches and the scenery!
- Multiple housing options are available: on-campus residence halls, on-campus apartments, off-campus housing, and homestay.
- Students can receive free airport pick-up upon arrival to the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek International Airport.
- There is free bus transportation on campus and in Kalamazoo for WMU students.
BENEFITS OF GETTING A DEGREE AT WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY
- The University offers 147 bachelor’s, 73 master’s and 30 doctoral programs
- One of the nation’s top 100 public universities for 24 consecutive years—U.S. News & World Report
- One of the nation’s 147 public research universities—The Carnegie Foundation
- Top-100 national university—Washington Monthly
- Best Bang for the Buck school—Washington Monthly
- Listed as one of the Best Midwestern Colleges—The Princeton Review
- Named one of the Best Colleges for Your Money—Money magazine
- Within three months of graduation, 89 percent of WMU graduates are employed, engaged in military service or continuing their education
- Phi Beta Kappa, America’s most prestigious honor society has chosen to grant chapters to WMU and just 99 other public institutions
Come to CELCIS – we would love to teach you English!