If you live on campus or if you intend to visit any resources on campus, yes, you need to be tested. If you live off campus; your class load, as reflected on your official schedule, is exclusively online; and you never visit campus, you can request an exemption from testing by visiting wmich.edu/covid-19/questions.
Mandatory COVID-19 Testing
In order to protect the campus community, WMU has created the COVID-19 surveillance testing program for unvaccinated students, faculty and staff who live, attend classes or use resources at any of Western's campuses. Mandatory no-cost testing will begin at the start of the fall semester and continue every week through the end of September. Thereafter, individuals will continue to be subject to regular testing for the remainder of the academic year—or until they are fully vaccinated.
Where to get tested
Unvaccinated students, faculty and staff who are required to get tested will need to visit the Fetzer Center for their self-administered COVID-19 test.
The Fetzer Center is open for testing from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Western's mandatory COVID-19 testing is appointment only. Choose a convenient time to be at the Fetzer Center; lines may be long, so allow extra time.
You are encouraged to walk to the test site. The Fetzer Center parking lot will be available for any visitor to the test site during clinic hours.
How it works
- Bring your Bronco Card with you to the Fetzer Center.
- Access your daily screening badge on your smartphone to show at the door of the Fetzer Center.
- Swipe your Bronco Card to receive a Binx Health testing kit. Follow the instructions to create an account and fill out a small label.
- Take all materials to the observation station and follow the step-by-step process to gather a valid sample using a nasal swab. Do not touch the swab tip with your hands or allow it to contact any other surface.
- Return swab to the vial, close it and seal it in the bag.
- Hand the bag and the QR code card to the person behind the observation table and they will activate your kit.
- We'll ship the sample to the lab for analysis.