Transfer Students


Students thinking about transferring to the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences can review transfer guides for all Michigan and some Illinois community colleges. It is recommended students contact an academic advisor early in their enrollment at another institution for help identifying the courses that will count for their desired program. Pre-transfer planning, pre-course approvals and guidance on enrollment at the current institution can be facilitated early on to help initiate a smooth transition to WMU and maximize the number of transfer credits that can be used for a student’s degree.


Transfer students need to meet with their academic advisor prior to enrolling in their first semester at WMU. They also should plan to meet with their advisor once each semester throughout their time at WMU before registering for the following semester of courses.  CEAS courses fill up quickly, so students should meet with their advisor as early as possible – ideally before course enrollment opens for the next semester.  Course enrollment starts in mid-October for spring, mid-February for summer, and mid-March for fall.

To schedule an appointment, please call (269) 276-3270 or use our online scheduling tool.

Transfer Credits

At the point a student is admitted to WMU, the Office of Admissions or International Admissions & Services will process a credit evaluation for all of a student’s completed work at other institutions and how it transfers to the University. Transfer credit will be granted in one of four different ways:

  • WMU equivalent course
  • General Departmental Transfer Credit (i.e. MATH CR, CHEM CR)
  • CBDRO (Credit by Department Recommendation Only) credit
  • No credit

 Due to the specificity and accreditation of the programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, exact course equivalencies are required in order to apply transfer credits toward a student’s degree. As such, math, science or engineering courses that receive general departmental credit (ie MATH CR, CHEM CR) or credit by department recommendation only (CBDRO) will need to further evaluation before they can be properly applied toward a student’s major.

In order to fully evaluate a math, science or engineering course students need to supply a full course syllabus for each respective class. Syllabi must provide the following information for a complete evaluation:

  • Course description
  • Textbook(s) utilized in the course
  • Course prerequisite requirements
  • Grading scale & components
  • List of topics

General education courses that are granted general department credit can generally be evaluated based on a course description. All course evaluations need to take place prior to a student enrolling in classes at WMU.

It is the student's responsibility to supply a syllabus for each course to their academic advisor, who will forward the information to the appropriate department. Course evaluations must start with the advisor. Students who send syllabi directly to professors or course coordinators will be directed to contact their advisor. Please note that some credits may transfer to the University but may not apply toward a major in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences if it is not a required course in that program.