Student looking at paperwork

Undergraduate advising appointments

We are here to serve you. Schedule an academic advising appointment by selecting which type of student you are below.

Ready to serve you

Current and prospective undergraduate students should connect with academic advisors for information on registration and program requirements. 

  • Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • E-102 Floyd Hall on Western's Parkview Campus
  •  (269) 276-3270
  • Access Meet Your Advisor or log into Degree Works to find your advisor.

Graduate students should contact their department.

  • Applying to your professional program

    Students currently part of the pre-engineering or pre-engineering technology program will need to submit an application for admission to their professional program:

    • The application should be submitted in the semester a student is taking the final pre-engineering or pre-engineering technology requirement.
    • Additional requirement: The application also may need to be accompanied by a Request to Enroll in 3000-4000 Level Engineering Courses form if a student needs to register major courses in 3000 or 4000 level for the following semester.
    • The application can be completed during an advising appointment (preferred) or a completed application can be dropped off in the Advising Office (E-102 Floyd Hall).

    Grades will be checked at the end of the semester for all students who have applied for admission to their professional engineering or engineering technology program. Students who successfully complete their pre-program will be notified via WMU email after final grades are posted and should plan to continue meeting with their academic advisor every semester.


    Readmission policies

    Undergraduate students may be academically dismissed from WMU or the CEAS for failing to maintain a 2.0 GPA or for being unable to receive satisfactory marks in their required courses.  Undergraduate students interested in returning to the CEAS after dismissal must follow the readmission policies outlined below.  Graduate students should contact their graduate advisor about readmission policies.  Any questions or concerns can be directed to the CEAS Advising Office.

  • Declaring a College of Engineering and Applied Sciences minor

    Interested in pursuing a minor in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences? Speak with your advisor to determine the most suitable minor for your goals. Once you've decided, complete the Declare a Minor form.

  • Curriculum information

    Below is information for you to become familiar with the requirements for your engineering degree at Western, including curriculum information by major and information for WMU essential studies requirements. Contact an academic advisor if you have questions.

    Curriculum information by major

    Below is curriculum information for undergraduate engineering majors at Western Michigan University.


    WMU Essential Studies (catalog years 2020 and beyond)

    All students must satisfy Western Michigan University’s Essential Studies requirements before graduation. Please refer to WMU’s Essential Studies information here:

    WMU Essential Studies

    • Some College of Engineering and Applied Sciences majors require specific Essential Studies courses as a curriculum requirement. Please refer to the CEAS Essential Studies Guide to help identify any such requirement for your program.
    • A complete list of applicable WMU Essential Studies courses can be located on students’ Degree Works audits, located in goWMU under “Academic Services” in the “My Self Service” menu (remember to enable the pop-up to load).

    General education requirements (catalog years prior to 2020)

    If your catalog year is prior to 2020, you must satisfy Western Michigan University’s general education requirements prior to graduation:

    • A minimum of 37 credits for B.S. students and 34 credits for B.S.E. students from proficiencies 1, 3 and 4 and distribution areas 1-8 (distribution area 7 is exempt for BSE students).
    • A minimum of 6 credits of 3000/4000 level coursework within the distribution areas.
    • No more than 2 courses from any department can be used to satisfy distribution area requirements.
    • Courses for “credit/no credit” are not accepted for proficiency 2 or 4.
    • Some College of Engineering and Applied Sciences majors require specific general education courses as a curriculum requirement. Please refer to the CEAS General Education Guide to help identify any such requirement for your program.
    • A complete list of applicable general education courses can be located on students’ Degree Works audits, located in goWMU.
  • Transfer students

    Students thinking about transferring to the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences can review transfer guides for all Michigan and some Illinois community colleges. It is recommended students contact an academic advisor early in their enrollment at another institution for help identifying the courses that will count for their desired program. Pre-transfer planning, pre-course approvals and guidance on enrollment at the current institution can be facilitated early on to help initiate a smooth transition to WMU and maximize the number of transfer credits that can be used for a student’s degree.


    Transfer students need to meet with their academic advisor prior to enrolling in their first semester at WMU. They also should plan to meet with their advisor once each semester throughout their time at WMU before registering for the following semester of courses.  CEAS courses fill up quickly, so students should meet with their advisor as early as possible – ideally before course enrollment opens for the next semester.  Course enrollment starts in mid-October for spring, mid-February for summer, and mid-March for fall.

    To schedule an appointment, please call (269) 276-3270 or use our online scheduling tool.

    Transfer credit process

    At the point a student is admitted to WMU, the Office of Admissions or International Admissions & Services will process a credit evaluation for all of a student’s completed work at other institutions and how it transfers to the University. Transfer credit will be granted in one of four different ways:

    • WMU equivalent course
    • General Departmental Transfer Credit (i.e. MATH CR, CHEM CR)
    • CBDRO (Credit by Department Recommendation Only) credit
    • No credit

    Due to the specificity and accreditation of the programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, students must complete steps to transfer credits.

    Transfer Credit Evaluation Procedure 

    Transfer guides

  • New student checklist

    You're a Bronco. What's next?

    Congratulations on choosing Western Michigan University and the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS)! Your success is our goal, and this guide seeks to assist your transition from high school to college. We want to empower you to be independent, but we also encourage you to review this document with your parent(s), family, or supporting individuals. This document seeks to answer any questions you may have and guide you on any remaining next steps. Please be sure to attend to the list below before you arrive for New Student Orientation!

    Using GoWMU

    • Set your Bronco NetID password: You should have received a Bronco NetID and a temporary password from Admissions. Your Bronco NetID is different from your WIN (Western Identification Number). Visit Change Password to set your Bronco NetID password. If you do not have your Bronco NetID and temporary password please contact the Technology Help Desk at (269) 387-HELP or email
    • Log in to GoWMU: At the top of most WMU web pages is a link to GoWMU. When you click the link, it will take you to the WMU Login where you may enter your Bronco NetID and password. You must know your Bronco NetID and password in order to register for classes at orientation. Make sure you keep that information handy so you can quickly retrieve it during your appointment!

    From GoWMU:

    • Take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment. Unless you earned an ACT math score of 27 or above or an SAT Math Score of 640 or higher which places you into Calculus I, you are required to take the ALEKS placement assessment before summer orientation. The test is free and can be accessed within your GoWMU account. Students can take the placement assessment at home. Contact Anetra Grice with any questions or problems. 
    • Check Your WMU email daily. Across the top of GoWMU you'll find a link to  “W-Exchange” which links to your WMU e-mail account. 

      Remember to check your WMU e-mail daily to receive important information from financial aid, academic advisor(s), instructors, etc. You should now conduct all official WMU business using your email address.

    • Find financial aid and billing links. Click on “Student Home” tab. From here, you can check your financial aid status and view your award, add and drop classes, check your account balance, pay your bill, and take care of many aspects of WMU business.
    • Set up an Authorized User: If you want to allow someone to be able to view certain academic and financial aid information, you must designate that person as an authorized user in the portal under the “Student Home” tab. Information on authorized users will also be provided at Orientation.

    Other topics

    • Think About your Major: CEAS has many wonderful programs!
    • Register for Classes: No need to worry about this now. We will help you register for fall classes during a one-on-one remote appointment with your advisor. Most students will register for 12 to 15 credits, which typically equates to 4 or 5 courses.
    • Get your Western Student ID: You will have your ID picture taken during Fall Welcome.
    • Take Care of any Financial Aid Holds: Check to see that all financial aid requirements have been met. You can access this information in your GoWMU Portal by clicking on “All Links > Financial Aid.” Here you can view missing requirements and your financial aid award. Contact Bronco Express with any questions. Bronco Express is located on the lower level of the Bernhard Center, by the food court. Their number is (269) 387-6000. No appointment is needed. 
    • Figure out the Bottom Line: There is a cost of attendance calculator on the Registrar’s home page. You can choose options to figure out your cost of attendance. Western charges a flat rate for full-time on-campus tuition (12-15 credits) in the fall and spring semesters. Online courses are included in the flat-rate tuition and also incur a $60/credit hour fee. Regional Site courses are not included in the flat rate and are billed by the credit hour. Summer courses are also billed by the credit hour. After calculating expenses, subtracting awarded financial aid determines the bottom line. If needed, a payment plan can be set up for a remaining balance. Contact Bronco Express for details: (269) 387-6000.
    • Get your Parking Pass: If you plan to have a vehicle on campus, you must have a parking pass. Visit Parking Services website  for prices and pass options.
    • Purchase your Meal Plan: A variety of meal plans are available. The number for Dining Services is (269) 387-3463.
    • Figure out your Housing: Check out WMU housing options. The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences has a Learning Community. If you are already signed up for housing, you can make a request to switch to live with other CEAS students in either the Engineering or Engineering Honors Learning Community. Contact Residence Life at (269) 387-4735 for more information.
    • Send Final Transcripts:
      • High School Transcripts: You are required to send your high school transcript with your final senior semester grades. If WMU Admissions does not receive your final semester grades, you will have a registration hold that could delay your ability to register for spring 2021 courses.
      • Non-WMU College/University Transcripts: You also must send transcripts for any courses taken at community college, either through dual-enrollment, an Early/Middle College program, or on your own, or if you are currently taking non-WMU courses at any institution of higher education. In addition, please make sure you communicate with your advisor during your Orientation meeting regarding any official or unofficial copies of transcripts for any non-WMU courses you have completed, including those in which you are currently enrolled. Transcripts can be mailed to WMU Admissions, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5211, and can be sent electronically by the home institution to
      • Know your Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate Tests and Scores: If you took AP or IB courses AND corresponding exams, make sure you know which exam(s) you took AND what score(s) you received. This information is needed for accurate course registration. Please communicate this information to your advisor during your Orientation meeting.
        Submit unofficial AP or IB test scores to your academic advisor.
    • Put Important Dates on your Calendar:  
      • Fall Welcome: All first-year students are expected to attend Fall Welcome
      • Fall Move-In: Know when to move in to your residence hall if you are living on campus.

    Have questions?

    Email Anetra Grice with the STEP Program with any questions or concerns.  

  • Meet your advisor

    Aerospace Engineering

    Chemical Engineering

    Civil Engineering

    Computer Engineering

    Computer Science

    Construction Engineering



    Electrical Engineering

    Engineering Design Technology

    Engineering Management Technology

    Graphic Printing Sciences

    Industrial and Entrepreneurial Engineering

    Manufacturing Engineering Technology

    Mechanical Engineering: Undergraduate

    Mechanical Engineering: Graduate

    Paper Engineering


  • Learning and study strategies

     The WMU College of Engineering and Applied Sciences offers free study and learning assessment—The Learning and Study Strategies Inventory—to help you understand your learning style and make the most of your time.

    The LASSI assessment is available via an in-person appointment in the advising and student success office, E-102 Floyd Hall on Western's Parkview campus. You will be provided with a paper copy of your results to take home. A separate, virtual appointment is encouraged to review your LASSI results with an advisor.

    Schedule a LASSI Assessment

    For questions, please email Ben Carr, academic advisor.

    About the assessment

    "The Learning and Study Strategies Inventory measure students' use of learning and study strategies and methods. It is a diagnostic and prescriptive measure. The focus is on both covert and overt thoughts and behaviors that relate to successful learning and can be altered through educational interventions. Thus, both student thought processes and behaviors are assessed. In addition, these thought processes and behaviors contribute significantly to success in post-secondary educational and training settings and can be learned or enhanced through educational interventions” (H&H Publishing, 2021).

  • Important dates

    Stay up to date with important dates and deadlines throughout the semester.

  • Forms

    Looking for a form. Start here. Then check with an advisor.