Student Projects Laboratory Overview
The purpose of the Student Projects Lab is to give all WMU College of Engineering and Applied Sciences students a designated place to perform hands-on work for any WMU-related class project. It also is used for senior design capstone projects required of all graduating students. The lab is home to the WMU SAE Formula and Baja Racing teams, which do a majority of their design, machining and assembly within the lab. Other Registered
Student Organizations, including the Sunseeker Solar Car Team, use the Students Projects Lab when needed.
Requirements for lab use
- The first requirement for students to work in the student projects lab is to be enrolled and currently attending class at WMU’s College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- The second requirement is for students to be attending a class that requires the completion of a class project that may need to be designed, fabricated, and assembled.
- Students that are current members of a Registered Student Organization (RSO), involved with faculty lead research projects, or completing a senior design capstone project are also permitted to use the student projects laboratory.
- Students who do not fit into one of the first three requirements are not permitted to use the student projects laboratory.
- Students are required to follow all directions and guidelines listed throughout the “Safety and Basic User Guide” document.
- Violation of any rules listed within the “Safety and Basic User Guide ," "Manual Mill SOP," "Manual Lathe SOP," or additional rules that may be posted within the student projects lab will result in loss of lab access and use until further notice at the discretion of the Lab Manager or Machine Shop Manager.
- Clausing Colchester 13” Manual Lathe
- Clausing Kondia FV-1 Vertical Milling Machine
- Wells-Index 856 Horizontal and Vertical Milling Machine
- Powermatic 1200 20” Drill Press
- Bitco Machine Tools 1701 HD Drill Press
- Rockwell 28-300 14” Cutting Band Saw
- Powermatic 143 14” Cutting Band Saw
- Kalamazoo Horizontal Band Saw H9AW 9”X16” Metal Cutting
- Rockwell 31-501 6”X48” Vertical Belt Sander
- Pexto 137-K 37” Foot Metal Squaring Shear
- Pexto 3003 Metal Bending Shear
- Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG Welder
- Mid-States TriArc 160 Welder
- 10” Delta Table Saw w/48” extension table
- Spray-Tech 84” Table Top Paint Booth
- Various abrasive grinding and cutting power tool equipment
- Various small woodworking cutting and sanding power tool equipment
- Complete full set of basic hand tools