Frequently Asked Questions

Architecture and Design | Business Operations | Custodial | Maintenance | Power Plant | Transportation

Architecture and Design

For more in-depth answers about Architecture and Design, please visit the Architecture and Design frequently asked questions page.

What type of projects does Architecture and Design work on?

The Architecture and Design Division works on projects including, but not limited to:

  • Feasibility study, evaluation and analysis.
  • Renovation or remodeling of all types of spaces.
  • Office cubicle reconfiguration.
  • New furnishings, fixtures and equipment.
  • ADA accommodation.
  • Project management.
  • Graphic Design and signage needs.

How do I initiate a project request?

Initiate a project request using our online Project Request Form.

When is the best time to get my project request in?

You may submit a project request at any time. However, the best time for project submittal is early fall. Project requests received at this time will allow time for a proper project process for completion the following summer. Depending on the size and complexity of the project, this general schedule is subject to change.

What if I want to purchase a new office chair?

Click here to order a new office chair.

Business Operations

When I receive a transfer of funds statement, how do I obtain the detail information?

You can find a detailed breakdown of the total charges at our billing detail lookup page.

You will get a security warning, but you can proceed and enter your Bronco NetID—the same as you would for direct deposit or GoWMU.

Instructions for using the billing detail lookup

  1. In the open box under "enter project number" or "enter work order number", type in the project number (R followed by 4 numbers) or the work order (begins with R, C or S and has a hyphen in it) and search.
  2. If you click on the work order number, it will bring you to the breakdown of that work order.
  3. On the detail work order page, there will be three parts toward the bottom—labor, parts and PO/Contracted Services.
  4. If you click on the small plus sign directly to the left of parts or PO/Contracted Services, every charge in that category will appear.
  5. You can go back to the project page by using the back button or by clicking the above link again.

What if the transfer of funds statement is addressed to the wrong person?

The transfer of funds statement is addressed to the person who is listed as the manager of the account within GLOW. If you would like to change the manager of the account please fill out a department set up form.

Custodial Services

I am a vendor soliciting products. How should I go about this?

Vendors may send packet of information to custodial services. Vendors are seen by appointment only.

Does Custodial Services take care of pest control?

Yes, pest control is handled by custodial through Rose Pest Solutions.

  • WMU apartment residents: Any Western Michigan University apartment pest problems can be reported to the WMU Apartment Office at (269) 387-2175.
  • WMU dorm residents and staff: Any WMU dorm pest problems can be reported to Environmental Health and Safety at (269) 387-4794.

Are custodial practices at WMU environmentally friendly?

Yes, for more information, please visit Custodial Services' sustainability page.

Can I put in a request to have a dispenser fixed?

Yes, we will take your information and transpose it into a work order, which is then sent to the vendor.

Does custodial take care of the temperature in rooms?

No, please contact maintenance and they should be able to help.

Can custodial unlock classrooms for faculty?

No, please contact the Department of Public Safety.

Locked doors: interior and exterior

Please call the Department of Public Safety. If they cannot send someone, then they put out a general announcement and the problem will be resolved by maintenance, custodial or the closest employee to the area that needs assistance.

Top of page

Maintenance Services

For more in-depth answers about maintenance-related questions, please visit the maintenance frequently asked questions page.

Who do I call after hours?

Call the Department of Public Safety at (269) 387-5555 from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day.

How do I submit maintenance requests?

For non-emergency maintenance issues, you can submit requests online at Bronco Fix-It website. For emergency issues, please call (269) 387-8514 from 7 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call the Department of Public Safety (387-5555) between 5 p.m. and 7 a.m. every day.

What constitutes on emergency?

Emergencies are issues like fire, flood or major leak, loss of power or other issues that affect your safety or those around you.

Power Plant

What does the power plant do?

The Robert M. Beam Power Plant provides all of the steam and electrical energy for the buildings on the west and east campuses of Western Michigan University as well as the Kalamazoo Psychiatric Hospital.

What fuels are used at the power plant?

Presently, the only fuel that the power plant utilizes is natural gas.

Top of page


For more in-depth answers about transportation-related questions, please visit the transportation frequently asked questions page.

How do I go about getting a vehicle for Western Michigan University-related use?

Facilities Management does not provide vehicles for renal purposes. You will need to visit the WMU travel website for more information on vehicle rentals.