Western Michigan University has contracted with Google, Inc. to provide Google Workspace service to all WMU students, faculty, and staff. The use of this service is governed by University policies as well as the terms and conditions of the contract with Google.
This policy applies to any student, faculty, or staff using the Google Workspace services of WMU, whether on campus, at home, at regional sites, or via any other means.
- Any faculty or staff member using Google Workspace must ensure that their use will comply with any data storage requirements of their school, department, unit, or WMU.
- Google Workspace may not be used to store, maintain, or transmit any kind of restricted/confidential data, including, but not limited to HIPAA protected social security numbers, driver's license numbers, financial account or credit card numbers, or any other personally-identifiable data.
- Anyone using Google Workspace for grants should be aware that data will be stored in data centers outside of the US and must abide by the rules and policies set forth in their grant.
- Student data protected by FERPA is permitted in Google Workspace services provided that the information is shared only between the student and those who have a legitimate education-related interest.
- Western Michigan University does not back up data stored on Google Workspace, and cannot restore, or recover, any data or documents that are deleted from these applications.
Western Michigan University, with broad representation from the campus community, develops policies and procedures to assure that University data assets are secure and protected in compliance with state and federal regulations.
Any person found to be in violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as defined by current University policy and bargaining agreements.
Written: October 2014
Revised: March 2021