First-Year Experience is a transition course (FYE 2100) for first-year (new beginner) and transfer students. This two-credit hour course gives first-year students a shared opportunity to successfully make the academic and social transition to university life. Seminar activities and programs are designed to prepare students for their first year and beyond at WMU. Students receive instruction in the course from a WMU faculty or staff member and an upper-level student leader who both facilitate this unique university experience.
Expected course outcomes
- Students will develop critical thinking, writing, technology and research skills.
- Students will demonstrate competency in accessing University resources and services.
- Students will understand the requirements for earning a bachelor's degree.
- Students will examine personal interests and explore related WMU academic and career pathways.
- Students will develop a global awareness and an appreciation of diversity and culture in the broadest sense.
- Students will make connections with WMU faculty, staff, student leaders and peers to facilitate success.
- Students will demonstrate responsible academic and social behaviors.
How to register
Don't miss your opportunity to participate. Thousands of students at WMU have already learned the keys to college success. A limited number of seats are available and registration is easy, visit our registration page for details.