Student Travel

Student university authorized trips

Student travel which is a part of organized Western Michigan University course instruction, may be taken to visit places of interest. Student participation is on a voluntary basis and students must cover their own cost. Prior authorization must be obtained by following the travel authorization process as with all University travel. Students' age 20 and older may drive Hertz rental vehicles on authorized field trips. Students’ ages 18-19 may drive selected Hertz rental vehicles for a fee. 

University insurance is not provided on student-owned vehicles.


Study abroad and overseas internships

Study abroad through the Haenicke Institute for Global Education assist more than 500 WMU students annually participate in study abroad programs, including overseas internships, in more than 35 countries. All travel would be coordinated by the  Haenicke Institute for Global Education.


Clery Act information

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education. The Clery WMU Student Off-campus Trips form can be found on the following website