Montage of airplane, planet earth, calendar and western michigan university seal


  • The standard approval process for essential travel to conferences and in-state and domestic travel events utilized prior to COVID-19 has been restored.

  • As a reminder, the online travel authorization system allows individuals to create travel authorizations and electronically route those authorizations to the approver.

  • International travel requires Export Control and VP approval.

This site is designed as an overview of Western Michigan University's travel procedures for receiving authorization to travel, reporting expenses and obtaining reimbursement when traveling on behalf of WMU. Travelers should also comply with any other authorization procedures required by their departments.


Please access the following websites for airline updates related to the Coronavirus Situation. Please note these scenarios are fluid and subject to change at any time without advance notice.

Delta: Delta Professional Travel Agency Website

American: American Airlines Coronavirus Travel Update

United: United Coronavirus Travel Update

Southwest: Southwest Coronavirus Travel Update

Travel online authorization

This online system allows individuals to create travel authorizations and route those authorizations to the approver electronically. Once the request has been entered, an email is generated to the approver notifying them that they have a travel authorization awaiting their approval. Upon approval, the request is sent to AAA for air travel. Users will need their bronco net id and password to access the Travel Authorization System.

Contract or grant funds

University travelers using grant or contract funds must comply with all University policies and procedures regarding travel. There may be additional restrictions on travel when using grant or contract funds, such as Fly America Act, foreign travel and per diem restrictions. The travel should be included in the approved budget for the grant or contract. For more information contact the Grants and Contracts Department at (269) 387-4707.