Ground Travel

The following modes of transportation fall under ground travel:

  • Car rental
    Western Michigan University has a negotiated contract with Hertz Rent-A-Car. Use of rental cars at travel destinations is limited to circumstances where other transportation is either more expensive or impractical.
  • Personal car
    Western Michigan University faculty and staff traveling by personal car must have prior authorization by their department head. Generally authorization may be obtained under certain circumstances.
  • Rail and bus
    Trains and buses are acceptable optional means of transportation. In cases of long distances, time considerations are often restrictive. Travelers should use coach class unless pre-approved by the appropriate vice president. Bus reservations must be made by traveler. Reservations for rail may be made using AAA.
  • Taxi/public transit/shuttle
    Shuttle service should be given preference whenever available and economical. Taxi trips are acceptable when necessary to and from airports. Travelers must obtain receipts for reimbursement.

There are three parts to your travel:

  1. Authorization
  2. Travel
  3. Reimbursement

Please review the steps involved with each section above to exercise good judgement and discretion when using Western Michigan University funds.