Master of Arts (MA)
K-8 and 6-12 tracks: 48
K-12 track: 59
Employment for educational, vocational, and school counselors is expected to grow by 19 percent from 2010 to 2020.US Bureau of Labor Statistics
This program is offered in-person in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo.
You love helping young people realize their full potential and are ready to reach your own. With a Master of Arts degree in counselor education—school counseling from Western Michigan University, your career advancement is in your own hands.
The school counseling program offers three specialized tracks leading to several different certifications, endorsements, and recommendations.
You can view upcoming information sessions here.
Why school counseling at Western Michigan University?
- This master's degree program at WMU is unique because there are three different tracks available that lead to a variety of different certifications.
- When it comes to practicum hours, the Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology offers several options. With on-site clinics in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids, there are many opportunities for training. The program also has connections with many area school counseling sites where you can complete your practicum.
- In addition to WMU funding opportunities, our department offers competitive scholarships.
The school counseling program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and related Educational Programs. Not only will your experience as a graduate student be valued by employers, your degree will be well recognized and highly commended.
Who should apply?
Anyone with a strong undergraduate academic career (3.0 or higher cumulative GPA) in psychology or a related field is encouraged to apply. You can view detailed admissions information for domestic applicants here and international applicants here.
The school counseling program is designed to prepare individuals to function as school counselors at one of the three levels in public and private schools in accordance with the Endorsement Rules and Teacher Certification Code of the state of Michigan, and Public Act 288 r.e. School Counselors.
Cost & Funding
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
- College of Education and Human Development
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus