master of arts
- Bachelor's degree with GPA of 3.0 or higher in last two years of undergraduate work.
- Resume detailing previous education and experience over the past ten years.
- 500-750 word personal statement explaining applicant’s interest and experience.
- Three professional letters of reference.
"It [the program] allowed me the flexibility as a single parent to work, attend classes and meet the needs of my sons,”"Mark Ybarra, read more
This program is offered in-person.
The Master of Arts in Family and Consumer Sciences (Family Sciences and Services track) prepares graduates for leadership roles in child, youth, and family programs that use prevention and educational approaches to empower families and enhance effective coping with life events and family transitions. Graduates serve individuals and families across the life span in a variety of agency, organizational, and faith-based settings. Students will work closely with graduate faculty to develop a plan of study that fits with personal career and academic goals. Students will complete a practicum or internship.
Why family sciences and services at Western Michigan University?
- Prepares graduate for leadership roles in a variety of settings
- Option of Accelerated Graduate Degree Program for current WMU undergraduate students
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- We are the only institution in the U.S. that includes an optional co-curricular designation known as the WMU Signature. Pathways include: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Who should apply?
Individuals excited about serving individuals and families across the lifespan in agency, organizational, and/or faith-based settings.
- Childlife Specialists
- Youth advocates
- Parent educators
- Specialists and supervisors in community-based social services
- Program courses.
- Download the rotation of graduate courses to plan your schedule.
Cost & Funding
- College of Education and Human Development
- Academic Advising
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus