How studying abroad enriched my life and college experience

Posted by Brandi Engel on June 3, 2019

My name is Stephanie Truitt, and I’m a second year Art and Spanish major at Western Michigan University. This past summer, I went on the Book Arts in Venice study abroad trip. We were in Italy for three weeks, and during that time we stayed in Venice, Florence and Cornuda. Our group of eleven worked on making several types of prints, posters and even books. Every single day was filled with new experiences and growth. While the trip was relatively short, in the three weeks I was in Italy I learned about the amazing benefits of studying abroad. Here are five of the things I took away from the trip. 

1. INCREASED INDEPENDENCE 

There’s nothing like being in a completely different environment to practice living independently. I am a commuter student, so this was an even newer experience for me than it may have been for others; three weeks was the longest I’d been away from home. However, I think all of us benefited from being pushed slightly out of our comfort zone and learning to adapt to new surroundings and situations. We lived in apartments and hostels and had to navigate the cities, often on our own. I may have gotten lost a few times, but people have said that when in Venice, getting lost is the best way to experience the city! 

2. NEW SKILLS 

Because there is an endless fountain of new inspiration and experiences to draw from, going on a study abroad trip is the perfect way to broaden your skill set . On our book arts-based trip, we learned how to make intaglio prints, letterpress, silk screening and book-binding. I also got into journaling. We put together journals before the trip that we wrote and drew in while we were there. I really enjoyed it and it was the start of a good habit. It is impossible to come away from a study abroad trip without new skills, whether they are specific to your area of study or general life skills put into practice on the trip. 

3. NEW FRIENDS 

When a group of students lives and works together for an extended period of time, it’s hard not to become close with each other. I came into the trip only knowing a few students, but I left feeling like I had many new friends. I loved getting to know everyone over dinner or card games at the hostels and spending time with people I may not have met otherwise. Some of my favorite times on the trip were when we were all hanging out at a restaurant or getting gelato after a long day. Study abroad creates friendships that are unique because of the shared stories and memories that you could only get from your trip. 

4. BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF AREA OF STUDY 

Studying in a foreign country is a wonderful way to experience firsthand the topics you are learning about. One of the most awesome things I experienced on the trip to Italy was to see so much incredible art around every corner. Italy is overflowing with history and incredible works of art. We wandered through countless museums and old cathedrals. It was so surreal to actually recognize pieces I had learned about in art history classes but had only ever seen in pictures. No matter what subject you may be studying, there is no better way to learn about it and apply your knowledge than in the country in which it's centered. 

5. THE EXPERIENCE OF A NEW CULTURE 

Arguably the most important and universal benefit of every study abroad trip is the opportunity to experience a new culture. During my trip, I saw amazing art and architecture, ate delicious Italian food, learned about each city’s history, and saw beautiful and breathtaking scenery in places I’d only dreamed of going to. Venice was unlike any city I have ever been to; the canals were amazing. When we walked at night it was so peaceful. There were no car motors, only the sound of the water lapping against the edges of the sidewalks and our own footsteps. That’s something that couldn’t be experienced in any other big city in the world. Being immersed in completely new and unique places like that is a great feeling.

I will never forget the incredible time I had studying abroad, and I encourage every student, no matter their area of study, to venture to another country during their college career.