Go for Gold: Trombonist Hana Beloglavec

Posted by Brandi Engel on October 10, 2019
Hana Beloglavec

Dr. Hana Beloglavec is one of the most outstanding young trombonists in the country. As a student, she built an impressive list of achievements in a variety of competitions that earned her significant national and international recognition. In 2010 she was named one of three finalists in the International Trombone Association’s Larry Wiehe Solo Competition. While at WMU she was also accepted into several important summer camps and festivals, including Bar Harbor Brass Week in Maine and the International Festival Institute at Round Top in Texas.

Following her graduation from Western Michigan University in 2011, Beloglavec was accepted into the prestigious music program at Yale University, winning one of their fully-paid fellowships for her master’s degree. After graduating from Yale she was accepted as the only doctoral student in trombone at Northwestern University. During her study at Northwestern, Hana had the opportunity to perform with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Beloglavec is the Assistant Professor of Trombone at Louisiana State University. At the same time, she has been the trombonist with the internationally-known Seraph Brass, a group that has traveled the world and recorded on the Summit Records label.

This homecoming we are honoring Hana Beloglavec with our Early Career Award for her amazing achievements. 

Tell us a bit about your life. What should we know about you?

I am the assistant professor of trombone at LSU and I play trombone in Seraph Brass, an all-female brass ensemble. 

Let's look back at your college experience. What made Western Michigan University your school of choice?

The top reason I went to WMU was to work with the terrific music faculty. I had met them over the years through WMU’s summer music camp Seminar, and I also worked closely with Dr. Steve Wolfinbarger before coming to western through trombone lessons with him.

What's your favorite memory from your time at WMU?  

My favorite memory was probably the Western Winds trip to China after my senior year. It was terrific playing with faculty and other students in a different country, immersed in a different culture. 

What is the first thing you did after graduating to apply your degree to the real world?

I feel I was applying my degree to the real world even while I was at WMU! As a musician, every time you perform at a gig you are using the skills that you have learned in lessons and ensembles.

What is your favorite part of your job? 

My favorite part of my job is hearing my students make improvements (especially when they have previously hit a roadblock in that area).

What is the most challenging part of your job? 

The most challenging part of my job is coming up with ways to help students through the hardships that they face as a music major. Sometimes music can be really hard work and very different from what high schoolers think it involves, but that makes it exciting when students start making major improvements due to their work outside of lessons.

Has anything happened in the professional world that has surprised you?

I think it often surprises me that the “best player” isn’t always the one who is chosen to play. A lot of this has to do with personality, and sometimes just being in an area long enough. If you’re a jerk and great, you might not get any gigs! So, be nice and hopefully it will work out.

What tips would you give to current students and graduating seniors as they prepare to enter the "real world" and secure work? 

Listen to your professors and soak up as much information as possible! For all workers, try to find a way to be objective about your efforts - for a musician this would involve recording and listening back with critical ears. Ask those more experienced than you for advice, and approach their answers as an opportunity for connection, openness, and change.

What does it mean to you to be recognized as a distinguished alumnus? 

It means a lot to me - I went to WMU with several talented musicians and students, many of whom are doing excellent things with their careers, so to be picked for this award is truly an honor. As always, it’s a great day to be a Bronco!