Go for Gold: An interview with Lisa Dobbin

Posted by Brandi Engel on October 10, 2019
Lisa Dobbin

Lisa Dobbin is the Artistic/Education Director of All The World’s A Stage (ATWAS), a non-profit 501 (c) (3) theatre arts education organization located in Macomb County Michigan. Dobbin began working with All The World’s A Stage as a staff artist in 2002 and in 2007 assumed her current position of Artistic / Educational Director. She received her Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Performance and Psychology from Western Michigan University in 1998, and was awarded her Master of Arts in Psychology (Applied Behavioral Analysis with a specialization in Organizational Behavioral Management) from Western Michigan University in 2000. She has completed specialized theatre arts education training through The Stratford Festival’s Education Department, Stratford, Ontario, and theatre arts education integration training with Karen L. Erickson, an arts integration National Workshop Leader for the John F. Kennedy Center in Washington D.C.

Through her positions as staff artist and Artistic/Educational Director, Dobbin has not only positioned All The World’s A Stage as one of the State’s premier Theatre Arts Education organizations, she has been responsible for the preparation and guidance of countless numbers of students in their higher educational pursuits. In our organizational mission to “teach life skills through theatre arts education” Lisa has been responsible for making the theatre arts educational process an integral cog in the definition of a healthy and vibrant community.

This homecoming we are honoring Lisa Dobbin with our Art Educators Award.

Tell us a bit about your life. What should we know about you?

I attended Western Michigan University from 1994-1998 with a double major in theatre performance and psychology. I continued at WMU to obtain my Master’s Degree in Psychology (Applied Behavior Analysis) in December of 1999. While attending WMU I met my wonderful husband, Peter. We have been married for 18 years and have two beautiful children, Ashleigh (16) and Ethan (14). I have been working with All The World’s A Stage since 2002 and in 2007 became the Artistic/Educational Director. In addition to working at All The World’s A Stage, I am also a building substitute teacher at Sterling Heights High School in Sterling Heights, MI.  

Let's look back at your college experience. What made Western Michigan University your school of choice?

WMU was my school of choice specifically because of the program offerings. Their theatre & psychology departments were both impressive and when I did my research before attending, my choice was clear. 

What's your favorite memory from your time at WMU?  

There are many favorite memories I had from my time at WMU. Something that keeps coming back and resonating with me is the friendships and camaraderie I found within the theatre department at WMU. Our professors did an excellent job cultivating a true teamwork atmosphere. Many of the relationships I built at WMU have turned into lifelong friendships. However, if I had to pick only one, it is when we did the show “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” in 1995. I was cast as one of the Gemini Twins. My experience working on that show was nothing short of magical. The director, musical director, cast and crew worked so well together that the show just kept evolving and there was no limit to the creativity coming from all involved with the production. To have the opportunity to experience working in that type of environment sparked my interest in directing. The following semester I took my first directing class found my passion. 

What is the first thing you did after graduating to apply your degree to the real world?

I started teaching summer drama workshops to students in grades 1-12. I realized my love for teaching and leading youth. I enjoyed creating with my students. It was like I was a kid at camp and didn’t want those weeks to come to an end. 

What is your favorite part of your job? 

Working with young people. Their creativity and perspective on life teach me something new all the time. I am constantly learning from my students. 

What is the most challenging part of your job? 

Working with parents and trying to communicate the benefits of the arts. Some parents don’t want their children to go into theatre and it is difficult to watch someone else’s expectations placed on a child. Other parents feel that their child is the next Broadway star and cannot understand why they didn’t get a lead role. Theatre is so much more than that to me. I want to create an environment in which everyone has a voice or learns more about themselves, what we do is so much more than parts in a play. I want my students to experience the teamwork and camaraderie that I did and have them enriched by the experience that the arts provide. This challenge motivates me to become an even larger advocate of arts education. 

Has anything happened in the professional world that has surprised you?

Yes, when I work with at-risk youth, I am amazed at what theatre arts can bring out in these kids. The responses and participation we get from our students consistently surprise me. We use theatre as a tool to teach life skills. Most of these students have not been exposed to theatre arts, but their vulnerability and creativity blow me away at almost every session that I teach. 

What tips would you give to current students and graduating seniors as they prepare to enter the "real world" and secure work?

Be confident in who you are and what you bring to the table. In addition, networking is very important, put yourself out there and make connections! I hired someone that was a WMU Musical Theatre graduate because of a glowing recommendation from WMU staff. She is a fantastic fit for our company and has been working for us for the past 5 years. Lastly, apply for any work in the field you can get, don’t be too picky. You never know what connections you may make as a result of taking a job you may not be too sure of. This field is tough, but don’t let it get you down.

What does it mean to you to be recognized as a distinguished alumnus?

I am beyond grateful and humbled by this recognition. I loved my time at WMU and am I proud to be a Bronco. For me to be chosen as a distinguished alumnus is not anything I could have ever imagined. I feel that I received incredible training from a group of very caring and talented professors and because of this, I am standing here today. I would like to thank each and every one of them from the bottom of my heart.