Go for Gold: Honoring printmaker Michael Sims

Posted by Brandi Engel on October 9, 2019
Michael Sims

Michael Sims established The Lawrence Lithography Workshop in 1979, in Lawrence Kansas, as a contract printing and teaching facility for local and regional artists. It provided a place where artists with little or no printmaking experience could collaborate with a master printer to produce original, hand-pulled lithographs. Over time the workshop evolved to an increased emphasis on printing and publishing the work of national and regional artists. Today TLLW, now located in Kansas City, Missouri, is recognized as one of the premier, privately owned, fine art publishing presses in the country. 

Sims received his B.S. in Art from Western Michigan University in 1968 and, in 1971, his MFA in Printmaking from Ohio University. In 1971 he began teaching lithography and drawing at the University of Kansas where he built the lithography program and facility that exists today. 

This homecoming we are honoring Michael Sims with our Legacy Award for Lifetime Achievement.

Tell us a bit about your life. What should we know about you?

Born: Wilmington, Delaware, 1944
Raised: Battle Creek, MI
Graduated: St. Philip High School in Battle Creek, 1962
I always liked to draw but had no formal training or exposure to art. I took my first art classes at WMU, which changed the direction of my life. 

Let's look back at your college experience. What made Western Michigan University your school of choice?  

After a couple of years of junior college with no real sense of direction, I decided to try art since that was my pre-occupation/hobby. WMU was the closest school with a “real” visual arts department.

What's your favorite memory from your time at WMU?  

It starts with the diversity of teachers and media options. Also many long hours in the life drawing room (my favorite classes) and printmaking studio. In general, an exposure to a larger world of thinking and ideas that a large university could offer…not just in my field, but writers, lecturers, visiting artists, etc., that I never would have otherwise been exposed to.

What is the first thing you did after graduating to apply your degree to the real world?

Following graduation from WMU, I took a scholarship offer to Ohio University where I received an MFA in Printmaking and Painting. From there I was hired to teach drawing and lithography at the University of Kansas.

What is your favorite part of your job? 

By far, the relationships I’ve had with all of the various artists that I’ve collaborated with as a printer and a publisher. All of them enlightening and educational…some very special and personally rewarding. Also the chance to teach and pass on this experience.

What is the most challenging part of your job?  

Mostly the pressures of being in business for one’s self…keeping an arts business alive in a bottom-line world. 

Has anything happened in the professional world that has surprised you?

Yes…the entire performance/competition oriented business world surprised me. Nothing in art school then prepared me for that. At the time, I was immersed in my world of discovery, aesthetics and philosophic introspection and personal practice.  

What tips would you give to current students and graduating seniors as they prepare to enter the "real world" and secure work? 

There aren’t many ready-made jobs, as such, out there for pure artists…few “corporate” style ladders to climb outside of teaching. It may be simplistic and corny, but believe in yourself, stay focused and hungry and respect will find you…both from the inside and the outside world. 

What does it mean to you to be recognized as a distinguished alumnus?

Means everything! A complete surprise out of left field. A very rewarding feeling for someone who plodded through life out of fear as much as ambition. WMU was so important to me in opening my eyes and doors, it might as well have been New York or Paris. I’m so very grateful.