What is the Hybrid Model?
Courses meet both in-person and through virtual delivery with 51% or more of the instruction occurring through distance ed, either asynchronously or synchronously. Asynchronous content delivery takes place virtually without any scheduled meetings, whereas synchronous content delivery takes place virtually with scheduled meetings. The hybrid format is used when some of the course delivery requires hands-on or participatory learning scenarios in a physical format.
- Students will attend all scheduled in-person or synchronous meetings.
- For the distance ed portion of the class, students will need access to a computer with reliable Internet connectivity.
- If applicable, students will need to become familiar with synchronous meeting etiquette.
- For the in-person portion of the class, students should consider whether they are comfortable sharing a classroom space with other participants, wearing a mask and interacting with social distancing measures in place.
- Office hours will most likely be held virtually due to social distancing requirements.
How to prepare for the HYBRID MODEL
- Read about the five different course formats.
- Learn about your class delivery method at WMU's Course Offerings.
- Read and become familiar with WMU's Safe Return Plan.
- Review the facial covering (mask) policy that is available on the policies webpage.
- Technology requirements and technology tutorials are available at Elearning webpage and laptop recommendations.
How to Prepare for virtual classes
Congratulations! You have completed the Western Michigan University Pre-Arrival Guide. We look forward to meeting you at International Student Orientation.