NOTICE - Due to COVID-19 concerns, many Western Michigan University department offices will be open limited hours and days during the spring semester.
The Department of Mathematics is open virtually, please leave a message at 269-387-4513 and those inquiries will be checked periodically.
If you know the specific extension for office personnel, you can still contact them directly. You can find specific contact information in our director.
Beginning 1/11/21, departmental offices are open for in-person appointments Monday to Thursday from 9 am - 4 pm on the following schedule. Please call to schedule an appointment.
- Mondays - Kathy Wright (Geological and Environmental Sciences), Rood Hall 1183, 269-387-5486
- Tuesdays - Liz Roe (Statistics), Everett Tower 3303, 269-387-1421
- Wednesdays - Lori Krum (Physics), Everett Tower 1122, 269-387-4941
- Thursdays - Sue Simons (Mathematics), Everett Tower 3318, 269-387-4513
IN THE NEWS
Math Prize Competition
The 2019 competition took place on Saturday, Oct. 26. Congratulations to this year's winners!
Why do you want to study math?
It is often demonstrated that being a mathematician is a top profession
- #1 CareerCast Best Jobs Ranking 2014
- #3 in Best Business Jobs and #4 Best STEM Jobs according to the US News Report 2018
Math skills matter most
Math gives plenty of career opportunities
- Career paths in mathematics
- Thinking of a career in applied mathematics?
- Why teach mathematics?
- American Mathematical Society career information
Study abroad opportunity
If you are applying to a semester of full-year study abroad on the Budapest Semester in Mathematics/Mathematics Education program, BSM, please inquire into the "Linda Lesniak International Study Scholarship in Mathematics or Mathematics Education," as well as any other department funding that may be available to defray expenses related to study abroad. General inquiries about this scholarship should be directed to the directed to the chair of the Department of Mathematics.
Math education newsletter
Get the most recent news and updates on math education in our newsletter.